Suspended

Lisa Voss

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I was suspended yesterday from work. I work part time as a security guard. We had an employee of our client company overdose and had to be narcaned back to life. I was asked to call 911 which I did and went straight out to where the man was which I was told to go to the other post to work until further notice. After I got home that afternoon I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I am suspended until further notice. I called the boss over her head ( the one who said to suspend me) and he said he wasn't going to discuss matters with me and was going to block my number. I just want to know what I did wrong. No one will talk to me about what happened. Do I have the right to know why I'm suspended?

Not really. You can send a polite email expressing your concern and lack of understanding of why you have been suspended...

I just want to know what I did wrong. No one will talk to me about what happened. Do I have the right to know why I'm suspended?

It might be difficult, but your best option is simply to wait quietly UNTIL you receive a written update.

While you patiently await further details, I suggest you put everything you can recall about the incident in the form of a written report. The report MIGHT be useful over the coming weeks. Don't, however, share the report with ANYONE unless so advised by YOUR attorney.

Something more to deliberate and think about, it was/is a part-time job. Your efforts and energies might best be expended by beginning a job search for your next, great employment opportunity. That'll be far more useful and productive than crying over spoiled/spilled milk.

After I got home that afternoon I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I am suspended until further notice. I called the boss over her head ( the one who said to suspend me) and he said he wasn't going to discuss matters with me and was going to block my number. I just want to know what I did wrong.

You told us that you asked your boss's boss, but nothing in your post indicates whether you asked your supervisor. Did you? If not, why not?

Do I have the right to know why I'm suspended?

Are you a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with your employer? If not, then the answer is likely no.

I was suspended yesterday from work. I work part time as a security guard. We had an employee of our client company overdose and had to be narcaned back to life. I was asked to call 911 which I did and went straight out to where the man was which I was told to go to the other post to work until further notice. After I got home that afternoon I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I am suspended until further notice. I called the boss over her head ( the one who said to suspend me) and he said he wasn't going to discuss matters with me and was going to block my number. I just want to know what I did wrong. No one will talk to me about what happened. Do I have the right to know why I'm suspended?
Immediately, LIKE RIGHT NOW, apply for unemployment.

You can do that here. DES: Apply for Unemployment

You will find out why they have suspended you.

Eligibility Requirements

There are FOUR criteria that you must meet to be eligible for unemployment benefits in North Carolina:

You must be unemployed due to no fault of your own (DES will make this determination based upon information provided by you and your last employer);

You must be considered monetarily eligible (earned sufficient wages to establish a claim);

You must be physically able, available and actively seeking work;

You must register for work with your resident state's job service office. In North Carolina that service is NCWorks Online

NCWorks Online

If you work work part-time, you must report the gross (before taxes) earnings for the weeks that you worked, and you must maintain your eligibility requirements.

If your only employment was part-time and you have been separated, you may be eligible to receive benefits.

Contact a DES claims representative at 1-888-737-0259 so that a determination can be made.

DES: Unemployment Insurance FAQs

I'm not quite as convinced that the suspension automatically means that the OP is going to lose this job. I think some basic attempt at communication now would be helpful.

I'm not quite as convinced that the suspension automatically means that the OP is going to lose this job. I think some basic attempt at communication now would be helpful.

That doesn't matter. He is out of work now. And if he does not get it back there is a 1 week waiting period to actually receive benefits. This could be used as that week.

Also, when, and of course if, the employer responds to the UI notice he should find out why he was suspended.

That doesn't matter. He is out of work now. And if he does not get it back there is a 1 week waiting period to actually receive benefits. This could be used as that week.

Also, when, and of course if, the employer responds to the UI notice he should find out why he was suspended.
No, I get it and I completely understand what you are saying. I am just expressing that *I* would spend at least a day or two trying to get an answer before filing. Seeing a claim for unemployment can upset an employer.

No, I get it and I completely understand what you are saying. I am just expressing that *I* would spend at least a day or two trying to get an answer before filing. Seeing a claim for unemployment can upset an employer.

I would normally agree, but since the boss has blocked his number and he can't find anyone else to ask...

the boss has blocked his number and he can't find anyone else to ask...

To be clear, the boss's boss blocked the OP's number: "I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I am suspended until further notice. I called the boss over her head ( the one who said to suspend me) and he said he wasn't going to discuss matters with me and was going to block my number." The OP provided no indication whether he/she asked his/her immediate supervisor about the reason for the suspension.

To be clear, the boss's boss blocked the OP's number: "I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I am suspended until further notice. I called the boss over her head ( the one who said to suspend me) and he said he wasn't going to discuss matters with me and was going to block my number." The OP provided no indication whether he/she asked his/her immediate supervisor about the reason for the suspension.
Great point. It's often unwise (and unwelcome) for someone to jump the chain of command.

Back