Suspended till further notice

Michaellamotte24

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
I was suspended on Sunday and sent home for stealing 3$ worth of food. I had money on me and was willing to pay but was told to go home.its now thursday and im still waiting to hear from my store manager..My roomate works with me and said the store manager said i was fired. What can i do because i feel that this situation wasnt handled properly.

File for unemployment today.

That you feel it wasn't handled properly is irrelevant as you can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as it's not in violation of anti discrimination laws.

Whether you qualify for unemployment depends on what the employer can prove.

Agree with Jack. While with the information available to us it's not possible to say if it was or was not handled "properly" but even if it wasn't, it wasn't handled illegally. File for unemployment and look for a new job.

Ok, thank you i was thinking the same thing but wasnt sure. i will file for unemployment today..let you know how i make out.

Make sure to state that you were sent home, not that you chose to go home without permission or oral directive to do so.

Ok.. I just filed for unemployment last night. So i should state to unemployment that i was sent home until further notice? The store manager told me he would contact me Thursday but i recieved no call from him.

Ok.. I just filed for unemployment last night. So i should state to unemployment that i was sent home until further notice? The store manager told me he would contact me Thursday but i recieved no call from him.

You will ONLY need to do that, if your employer contests your filing.

You want to make it clear, when the question is asked, why you left.

I left because my boss told me to "go home".

I hope you didn't sign a confession about the alleged theft.

If you did, that might be a problem.

If you didn't, don't admit to anything.

You have the RIGHT not to incriminate yourself, and remain silent about any potential criminal charge.

They mean it when they say, "anything you say, can and will, be used against you in a court of law".

Back