Suing for wrongful termination backpay settlement from the USPS

John Johnson

Jurisdiction
Virginia
In July 2018 Due to false accusations I was indefinitely suspended by my immediate supervisor. He had me sign a disciplinary action and sent me home to await his further instruction and explanation of my employment status. He never contacted me and did not fill out the proper forms indicating the reasoning or explanation for this discipline. After weeks of no contact I reached out to my Union who filed a grievance for this wrongful suspension. I have been awarded a settlement for the 3 months of back payment due to the supervisors wrongful actions that lead to my inability to work while I was ready and capable. It has been nearly 2 years and I have not received payment, or even a monetary sum for which to expect from my grievance. After being rehired I was made to work under the same supervisor that had caused this, due to the hostile work environment I resigned from my position. I have been in constant contact with my union rep but i not providing any results. I am looking for any advice, thank you.

You should find out who within the union can help.

You can hire a lawyer.

I suspect you already knew those two options.

You could write a letter to human resources asking when you'll be paid.

Good luck.

FYI this is a matter that is entirely within your union. What you describe may have been a breach of your union contract (I don't know; I haven't read your contract) but it was not a wrongful termination as define by law; nor is it a hostile work environment as defined by law. This is up to your union to resolve.

Back