Subpoena - financial hardship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cori

I moved in South Carolina, my divorce was done in Connecticut where my ex still resides.
My income is from a part-time job, and I don't make much.
My ex has file a subpoena for me to come to court in Connecticut over my paying him alimony, which is 112% over what I earn.
I pay him what I can afford, and filed a motion to modify the judgement.
The problem is that I simply do not have the funds to get to Connecticut, pay for a hotel, and meals, much less lose time off of work.
Can I have the Subpoena squashed or modified? The court has already recognized that I do not have the funds to pay for filing fees, and waived the fees.

Will/Can a bench warrant be issued because I cannot attend the hearing?

Is there something/anything I can do to have my say on the case, without having to go to Connecticut?

My ex was described as volatile and unstable by the court where I received my restraining orders against him. He has not worked or looked for work in 6 years. He received alimony on appeal of the divorce decree and has been harassing me via the court system since.

Any guideance would be appreciated. I am on my own on this. Legal aid in CT helped my ex, so they can't help me, and legal aid here can't help as the case is in Ct.

If you fail to appear, you likely won't or can't be arrested. But, by failing to appear, you'll likely allow him to receive what he's after by a default judgment.

You may have been served improperly. I suggest you speak with a lawyer in your area. The initial meeting is often free of charge.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Thank you both for your help. I did try to ask the judge if I could appear telephonically, and was denied. But, this is a new judge, and I will try again.

I am looking at the CT statues on being served, and am requesting a modification to the subpoena for more time, and undue hardship.

Thank you both again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back