Sub-contractor non-payment

A

abarnes

Jurisdiction
D.C.
I'm currently working as a sub-contractor on a govt. contract in Washington DC. The prime contractor is behind 3 months of invoices and the company I sub to isn't able to pay me due to the prime not paying on time. Is there any legal recourse that I can pursue to put pressure on the prime contractor to fulfill the obligation to pay it's sub-contractors (i.e. me).

The company you sub to is responsible for paying you regardless of payment status of anyone else.
Do you have an actual contact? If so, does it address how and when compensation will be made?

I'm currently working as a sub-contractor on a govt. contract in Washington DC. The prime contractor is behind 3 months of invoices and the company I sub to isn't able to pay me due to the prime not paying on time. Is there any legal recourse that I can pursue to put pressure on the prime contractor to fulfill the obligation to pay it's sub-contractors (i.e. me).

A person employed as a contractor isn't protected by labor laws that address payment for services rendered (work).

If you aren't being paid because the company that contracted you isn't paying you, your recourse is to sue the entity that contracts with you.

Your elected federal officials MIGHT feign interest, so you can always contact your two senators and congressperson.

Your most effective method is to file a small claims lawsuit against the entity employing you, and quit.

Three months of unpaid earnings are likely to remain unpaid.

Conservatively assuming you're being paid $3,000 a month, you've accumulated a $9,000 debt against your employing entity.

That exceeds the small claim amount in many jurisdictions.

In DC, the maximum that you can sue for in Federal Small Claims is $10,000.
Information on: Claims Requesting $10,000 or Less

I suggest you investigate filing a lawsuit for each month of unpaid wages.
Let's say you were not paid for January, February, and March of 2017.
It might be effective to file for January ONLY.
If you seek ALL due to you, the entity owing you would seek to consolidate all your claims.

It would behoove you to seek new employment ASAP if you wish to be paid for working, and not a volunteer.

Back