1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Stopped paying alimony

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by Trixie, Nov 1, 2015.

  1. Trixie

    Trixie Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Ex hasn't paid the court ordered spousal support for eleven months and I cannot afford an attorney. In VA am I able to file something like a rule to show cause and if so, how would I go about it? Thank you.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    A deadbeat rarely ever pays, even when faced with jail.

    Oh sure, a few days in jail, the deadbeat will drop a few quid to get out, and promise to be a good boy.

    Sheesh, soon as deadbeat daddy gets free, no money for you and your little ones.

    You'd be wasting your time trying to get a dime outta any deadbeat.

    But, there are a few people on this planet that can rough up a deadbeat and make her or him behave.

    Now, their spell isn't going to make the deadbeat become responsible, but these people are able to scare the deadbeat so she or he keeps the cash flowing longer and more regularly.

    Contact these nice folks who can sometimes squeeze blood out of a turnip:

    Division of Child Support

    Child Support Frequently Asked Questions - Virginia Department of Social Services

    Child Support - Virginia Department of Social Services
  3. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    If this is spousal support, you are going to have to file for contempt in court. You don't absolutely need a lawyer to do so. Look into legal aid or local law school clinics for low cost assistance.

Share This Page