1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Stepparent adoption

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by adoption, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adoption

adoption Law Topic Starter New Member

What forms do I need for a stepparent adoption? Biological father has payed no child support since 3/2007 nor seen his child since 4/2007. My husband of 12yrs now wants to adopt my child. Will the judge grant the adoption without the biological fathers consent?

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

Depends. You need an attorney to handle this.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Child support unpaid doesn't mean you lose your parental rights.
    Support, visitation, custody are ALL separate issues.

4. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

You need to talk to a family law attorney. If the attorney believes it's possible to adopt, the attorney will tell you the procedure and forms required.

5. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

This is a very long process and if Bio Parent is not willing it can get even longer If not impossible. If you and Step parent have already discussed issue then its time to talk with Bio parent to see if Bio parent is willing. You might sweeten deal by offering to forgive child support arrears (if possible). There are other things to consider but you can find them here http://www.parentnook.com/step-parent-adoptions/