squeezed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

starting_over

Hi. I am new. This iswhat happened to me- do I stand a chance with a harassment case ? Had a short lived relationship/affair with Boss. When I broke it off he would not leave me alone. He would not take no for my final answer and eventually would wear me down. His tactics were always different, he controlled me so well. He went as far as to tell my coworkers that he loved me and was going to marry me-we are both married to other people! I finally stood my ground and told him not to call my cell phone,not to email me, just leave me alone-I was his office manager -I told him I would continue to run his office for him to just get on with his life and let me get on with mine. Everything was quiet for 4 monthes. Then in January he started crying poor-that the office was operating in the red (big lie) and he began taking benefits away from me and then threatening to reduce my pay (which was over 70,000.00 per year, he kept upping my salary. I asked him if this was in retaliation and he screamed at me to NEVER say that to him again. He then left me alone for two weeks, when he started up again he said he wanted me to pick two people to lay off from the front desk and he wanted me to work thier hours or since my Mom was sick (she has ALS) that maybe I would want to take the lay off. Through all of this I dropped 20 pounds.
He asked that I leave the hours on his desk that I could work in addition to the hours that I was working-which were hours that he agreed to since 2001. I was working monday-thursday and had fridays off-so I told him I would work 8-2 on fridays but that I didn't understand why he was requesting additional hours from me since the hours i worked had been approved by him.
The next morning there was a very scary voice on my voice mail (his voice-but it sounded deadly) and he said that he was giving me a three day notice that I was to stay after work on monday because the hours i wrote down will not do. H e said I don't care what else you have to do you make arrangements to be here -And I didn't like that you said that I agreed to those hours. I am telling you to be here for 10-15 minutes after work on monday because the future of my office is at stake.
That message pushed me beyond what my nerves could handle. He had been trying to squeeze me out by taking things away from me and saying he was operating in the red. Yet he did not target any other employee nor did he take anything away from anyone else. So I poured my heart out to my husband and he called the boss's wife and told her, and he called on monday morning and asked the office girls to pack my personal things.
My brother in law returned my cell phone and office keys. I have been denied unemployment benefits and i am activley seeking other employment as this has been a tremendous financial loss.
do I have any recourse here ?

What a mess. I was right with you until your husband called the boss's wife and REALLY made it a mess.

A question though, before offering any legal information - how many people work for this company in total?

Federal laws that prohibit sex discrimination/harassment apply to employers with 15 or more employees. Chances are your State has a similar threshhold but you may contact your State's Department of Labor or equal rights division and inquire.

IF this employer is subject to discrimination laws, then the boss retalliating against you because you ended the relationship and refused to engage in a further sexual relationship with him is prohibited. Given the size of the company however, your only option may well be to find a new job.

I was wondering if all employees need to work every week to be considered an employee or can they just be on the payroll per diem to be considered an employee. There are including the Dr. who is on the payroll as an employee 12 plus there were 3 girls that filled in for us that appeared on the payroll when ever they filled in. Do you think that would make the cut ?

Title VII (the federal law that prohibits discrimination) applies to employers who have 15 or more employees on each working day in 20 or more calendar weeks in the current or preceeding year.

You'll have to do the math on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back