singing rights over do you still have to pay child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneck

if I were to sign my parental rights of my son over to his mother would I still have to pay child support. séance we both have 50/50 equal custody of are son

if I were to sign my parental rights of my son over to his mother would I still have to pay child support. séance we both have 50/50 equal custody of are son

If one is allowed to sign away their parental rights, it doesn't automatically allow them to abdicate their parental responsibilities and/or obligations.

I suggest you discuss your situation with a MN family law or domestic relations lawyer.

One final thought: Were you ever proven to be the daddy by DNA testing?
If not, you can ask for DNA testing, and if that proves you NOT to be the daddy, all of this might be easily erased.
I say that because many men simply sign the birth certificate without any proof they are the daddy.

If the DNA test says the daddy you can't be,
Then legally you have no paternity,
The payments you won't be required to remit.
The DNA says you ain't it!

Last edited:

If Mom ends up with sole custody and you having no access to the child, expect your CS payments to go up.

(I do love your auto-correct - it turned "since" into "séance" and that's just fabulous!)

Unless there is a willing Step Father to adopt child you will not likely be allowed to sign your parental rights away. If that did happen you would no longer have a child and thus no longer have to pay any child support except any arrears.

Oh, he can sign over his rights no problem. It's his obligations that would still exist ;)

(Just so OP is clear about things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back