'simple' divorce after 30+ years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumona

My wife and I are considering a divorce. These seem to be the issues that do not allow for us to file a simple dissolution of marriage in IL:

We have been married for 34 years.
We have three grown children.
Our joint annual income is approx $90,000
My wife owns a townhome; I do not own real estate.

We've lived apart for 3 years--not a legal separation. We divided all joint property at the time of the separation; there are no issues of ownership, alimony, etc.

We would like to know the options for the least expensive and easiest process to legally obtain a divorce or reference to locate that info.
Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are considering a divorce. These seem to be the issues that do not allow for us to file a simple dissolution of marriage in IL:

We have been married for 34 years.
We have three grown children.
Our joint annual income is approx $90,000
My wife owns a townhome; I do not own real estate.

We've lived apart for 3 years--not a legal separation. We divided all joint property at the time of the separation; there are no issues of ownership, alimony, etc.

We would like to know the options for the least expensive and easiest process to legally obtain a divorce or reference to locate that info.
Thanks in advance.

Although you should each have your own attorney, it is possible to file pro se. You can find the forms and instructions here:

http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/?section=DDPage&DDPage=3500#116

2) What documents are required to file for divorce?
Both contested and uncontested divorces require the following:

· State Certificate of Dissolution & Invalidity of Marriage;

· Domestic Relations Division Cover Sheet

· Self-drafted Petition

Additionally, an uncontested divorce requires:

· The Respondent's Appearance;

· A Certification and Agreement by Counsel, verifying that there are no contested issues.

A contested divorce requires a summons.

3) How do I file for my own divorce?
For contested or uncontested divorces, the Clerk's Office can give you a prepared packet of forms.�Fill out these forms and self-draft a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.�Once the paperwork is filed, you will receive a case number and judge (Calendar) assignment.�You may set up a court date at the Motion Counter.�At a later date, if there has been no activity on the case, you will receive a white postcard in the mail notifying you of your first court date.

It isn't necessary to be legally separated to meet the requirement of a 2 year separation.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back