signing over parental rights

N

nikeholmes13

Jurisdiction
Texas
I was curious on the price it would cost to sign over my parental rights and give custody of my son to my parents, his grandparents. any information would be helpful, thank you.

I was curious on the price it would cost to sign over my parental rights and give custody of my son to my parents, his grandparents. any information would be helpful, thank you.

There is no cost to sign over your parental responsibilities.
Why?
Because its NOT EVER going to happen.

You could have aborted the fetus, refused to engage in intercourse, to avoid becoming a parent.

Once the kid arrives, it's yours forever, unless you sexually molest the kid, abuse the kid, mistreat the kid, kill yourself, or run away to a third world nation where no one knows your name, etc...

If you do those criminal things, you'll lose your parental rights, and your freedom, because you'll spend time in prison.

Children aren't property.
You just can't abdicate your responsibilities, once someone has given birth to the fetus, sorry.

That's YOUR kid, YOUR responsibility until its 18 years old, or you die.

Can a parent voluntarily relinquish parental rights in Texas?

Termination of Parental Rights -

"Severing the parent-child relationship is very hard to do in Texas, as it should be. Most family law judges equate the termination of the parent-child relationship to be equivalent to the death penalty. "

5560 Involuntary and Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

5562 Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights
5562.1 Circumstances in Which Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights May Be Appropriate
CPS December 2013

DFPS does not accept voluntary relinquishments of parental rights as a means for children to enter DFPS conservatorship. For a child to enter DFPS conservatorship, DFPS must determine that there are grounds to remove the child.

If, in the course of a conservatorship case, a parent decides to voluntarily give up his or her parental rights, the caseworker pursues an affidavit of relinquishment only if:

• the parent voluntarily wishes to permanently discontinue the parent-child relationship; and

• permanently discontinuing the parent-child relationship is in the child's best interest.

5562.2§161.103External Link of the Texas Family Code; and

• any additional specifications of the attorney handling the case.

If the voluntary relinquishment results from either informal or formal mediation, the caseworker must ensure that the applicable requirements explained in 5573 Agreeing to Accept DFPS Conservatorship Without Termination of Parental Rights are followed.

In particular, the caseworker must ensure that:

• the affidavit is not the result of fraud, duress, or coercion; and

• the parent is free of undue pressure to relinquish parental rights, as described in 5574.3 Parent Must Not Be Pressured to Relinquish Parental Rights.

The court must hold a hearing and order termination of parental rights to the child based on:

• the affidavit of voluntary relinquishment; and

• a finding that termination is in the child's best interest.

Who are you in this situation - mother or father? Because either way you have to inform the other parent of this and they have to consent to someone else adopting your child.

Your parents can file for guardianship and or to adopt the child. The other parent, not just you, would have to agree or a court would decide. You really need to speak with a family law attorney.

Back