Signing over parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kileighjo7

The father of my children doesn't see them nor take care of them. He recently moved back out of state to run away from child support. I called him since i hadn't heard from him since Thanksgiving and I had mentioned him signing his rights over, to make a long story short, he is all for. Actually he's been calling and texting frequently to check if i've gotten anything done. So i need to know how to go about getting this done. I am married and but want my children to choose if they are adopted by my husband when they are older. I called an attorney and they wanted me to come in with $50 to have a consultation. I need to know what I can do that will get this done and over with to better my children's lives. Do i have to have an attorney? I looked on legalzoom for some forums but wasn't sure what i needed.
Thank you,
Kileigh Bagwell

The father of my children doesn't see them nor take care of them. He recently moved back out of state to run away from child support. I called him since i hadn't heard from him since Thanksgiving and I had mentioned him signing his rights over, to make a long story short, he is all for. Actually he's been calling and texting frequently to check if i've gotten anything done. So i need to know how to go about getting this done. I am married and but want my children to choose if they are adopted by my husband when they are older. I called an attorney and they wanted me to come in with $50 to have a consultation. I need to know what I can do that will get this done and over with to better my children's lives. Do i have to have an attorney? I looked on legalzoom for some forums but wasn't sure what i needed.
Thank you,
Kileigh Bagwell

I suggest you pursue the child support you are owed.

I see that you live in Alabama.

The state will assist you in making that deadbeat pay.

One can't just sign away ownership in children, like one might do a car title.

Children are chattel, they are human beings.

So, start with the sate, and see what they can do to get you the money that deadbeat owes you.

The Alabama Department of Human Resources has agreements with child support attorneys around the state to provide legal representation. It is the attorney's duty to pursue the legal steps necessary to enforce or establish child support obligations from non-custodial parents. The attorney represents the State of Alabama only. Regardless of whether you receive TANF or not, no attorney-client relationship will exist between you and the child support attorney.

The child support attorney can address matters of child support only. If an action is filed relating to custody, visitation or any matter other than support, it will be necessary for you to seek private counsel to represent your interests in these issues.

http://dhr.alabama.gov/services/Child_Support_Services/Apply_Child_Support_Svcs.aspx

http://dhr.alabama.gov/services/Child_Support_Services/Child_Support_Enforcement.aspx

You should not pay any attorney a fee for the initial consultation.

So, good call in not coughing up the $50.

Make some more calls, and find a couple of attorneys that DO NOT charge for the initial consultation.

Then, go and discuss your options with them.

If I were you, why not wait to let this deadbeat off the hook?

There will be time for that later.

But, even IF he is able to abdicate his paternal responsibility, he still owes you child support.

Your state, Alabama, will see to it that you get paid!!!!

and thank you for all the advice. although i only went for child support so he would see them more and be more involved and that hasn't happened. i cant force him to see them and i know that now. i dont know what im going to do. and i talked to an attorney about him signing his rights over not about child support, he's been to court for that several times and put in jail. Thank you all!!

Then no, it's not going to happen.

Voluntary TPR in your state will only happen as part of a stepparent adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back