Signing Bonus - Repayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasJ1964

I have worked for a Midwest Bank for the past 9 months. We are a privately held bank which little information about the bank is available to the public.

In the last 12 months (due to the continued detoriation in the Real Estate Markets, etc) the bank has been devistated by deliquencies, accounting issues, and other internal & external problems.

We were issued a Cease & Desist order from the OTS within the last 30 days, in addition to the "highly" possibility of bank seizure by the FDIC within the next 2 weeks to 1 month.

I was just offered a position with a Canadian bank to start 2/09.
With my current bank I was paid $5K bonus when I started on 4/08. It states I must work a full year. (This is not pro-rated).

Given the possibility that this company may not be here in 2 weeks (or a month, etc) do I have foot to stand on???

Certain verbal statements were made to me before I took this job (made in the presence of HR) for reasoning of this company's stability. I was informed my current bank that they were not experiencing problems and just the opposite they were benefiting from the mortgage issues.
Turned out things were worse than could of imagined. Since then 20% of employees are gone, including 2 1/2 (1/2 part timer) employees leaving only 2 employees that report to me.

This company has also done some inaccuarate accounting movements, etc. that I'm sure the FDIC would find highly questionable?

Thanks SO SO much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back