sign over custody at birth

Nicole Stephens

Jurisdiction
Texas
I have a friend that was raped and ended up pregnant. She knows she won't be the best mother for the child and asked if I would take the baby so the child didn't end up in the system. She was told she would be able to put mine and my partners names on the birth certificate and then the child would be ours. Is that the way it works? Is that even possible or legal? How do I get custody of this child at birth she is planning on me being the one to bring the baby home from the hospital.

Contact an adoption attorney in your jurisdiction, or Mom-to-Be's, if different than yours. That way, it's all handled properly.

I have a friend that was raped and ended up pregnant. She knows she won't be the best mother for the child and asked if I would take the baby so the child didn't end up in the system. She was told she would be able to put mine and my partners names on the birth certificate and then the child would be ours. Is that the way it works? Is that even possible or legal? How do I get custody of this child at birth she is planning on me being the one to bring the baby home from the hospital.

What you heard isn't correct, nor is it legal.
Fortunately none of us are able to sign the "rights of ownership" of a human being, who just happens to be our son or daughter over to another person.

That's just not how it works.

There is no legal way for you to walk out of the hospital with another person's bright, shiny bundle of joy as the NEW, PROUD owner.

If you wish to adopt a child, there are many agencies that offer children for adoption LEGITIMATELY.

It's never a god idea to know the person(s) that are putting a baby up for adoption.

Back