Should I resign under duress

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused3

I have been suspended for 2 years now without pay from my job as a Sargeant at a detention center in Oklahoma pending an ongoing federal investigation. The board of Trustees over the jail gave me the option last month to quit or be fired this month. Should I resign under duress, or let them fire me. How do I resign under duress if necessary?

If you resign, you potentially lose unemployment benefits.

You also could incur some vicarious liability in regard to the underlying legal matter.

I'd wait it out.

I'd also talk to an attorney.

Things are gonna come to a head soon.

They don't want to fire you.

That could incur them some liability.

Hang on, Sloopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already exhausted all available unemployment benefits. There have been no charges filed nor does there appear to ever be any, I'm not sure how they could fire me anyhow beside the fact that the detention center is considered an at will employer. Which from my understanding they can fire me at any point for any reason, I just thought my case was a little more sensitive and if I quit it would look like an admission of guilt. On the other hand I don't want a termination on my work history.

confused3 said:
I have already exhausted all available unemployment benefits. There have been no charges filed nor does there appear to ever be any, I'm not sure how they could fire me anyhow beside the fact that the detention center is considered an at will employer. Which from my understanding they can fire me at any point for any reason, I just thought my case was a little more sensitive and if I quit it would look like an admission of guilt. On the other hand I don't want a termination on my work history.

Why not speak with a local attorney? The initial consult is normally free.
If you have done that, okay.
You should be following her/his advice.

Or, if you don't trust the advice, get another opinion or two.

If the Feds are involved, they sometimes take two-three years before acting.

An attorney could contact the US attorney and see where this case is headed.

I'm of the opinion that you won't be charged. Your employer wants you to cut your own throat. If I were you (and you can afford it), I'd have an attorney press for my reinstatement.

I don't think they can make a case on you, but they want you to go away. An attorney might be able to get you two years of back pay, reinstatement, followed by your resignation. Talk to some attorneys in your area about that strategy. I've done similar deals for clients in situations akin to yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back