Should an employer pay me if there is no work for me on certain days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztsunamizo

Having recently left my work place i have recieved a letter stating i owe the company an amount of money for holidays payed to me in lieu. I was never aware i had had these in lieu as it was never brought to my attention and most of them are for days i had to have off as there was no work available for me. I am a scaffolder and was employed but worked on price work and for holidays i was paid a set amount each day. I have read my contract which states that they will seek the money back which isnt a problem only i believe that on those days i had to use a holiday to cover my wages for the day i should have been paid the rate at which my holidays are paid. Am i right in thinking this or am i in the wrong? I just cannot see how i should have to use my holiday days to cover days i didnt really want off. any coments would be greatly appreciated to help in this matter. Also can i add it states nothing in my contract about having to use my holidays for this reason.

If you hadn't said the word, contract, I'd have lot of questions for you to determine the appropriate law. However, since you have a contract, the only one who can determine the legality of the situation is an attorney in your state who has read all the applicable documentation. We cannot comment on a contract we have not read.

i have read the contact and it doesnt say anything about this matter or that it is the companys discretion to give you work when available so could you please give me an idea of how it stands please

I can't interpret a contract I haven't read. But if you will tell me what state you are in, a rough idea of what you do and whether you are exempt or non-exempt I can give you an idea what the relevant laws say.

Sorry, I don't know UK law and I don't think anyone else here does either. This is primarily a US site. The laws in the US and the UK are very different in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back