Shoplifted (17 &16) no cops were called but have questions

Jurisdiction
California
My friend and I shoplifted $50 worth of stuff, we signed a paper saying we wouldn't come in the store without a parent and received a restitution fee of $225 each. Cops weren't called and we have another restitution letter coming in the mail at least that's what they said when we called them. I guess our question is do we have a court date? And if so what is the age in California of going into court with out a parent, I know in some states it's 17 and in others it's 18, don't have the nicest most loving parents so we can't tell them about this.

and received a restitution fee of $225 each

What exactly does this mean. You obviously didn't "receive[] [any] fee." I assume it means that the store demanded that you (each of you?) pay that amount. Correct?

do we have a court date?

We have no way of knowing. However, if the police weren't called and you have not otherwise been contacted by the police or the district attorney, the answer is probably no.

what is the age in California of going into court with out a parent, I know in some states it's 17 and in others it's 18, don't have the nicest most loving parents so we can't tell them about this.

You're a juvenile and, if criminal prosecution is pursued, it will be done in juvenile court, which means your parents will be notified. Your parents are also potentially liable for a civil fine (which is the likely basis for the store's demand for $$).

My friend and I shoplifted $50 worth of stuff, we signed a paper saying we wouldn't come in the store without a parent and received a restitution fee of $225 each. Cops weren't called and we have another restitution letter coming in the mail at least that's what they said when we called them. I guess our question is do we have a court date? And if so what is the age in California of going into court with out a parent, I know in some states it's 17 and in others it's 18, don't have the nicest most loving parents so we can't tell them about this.

You are INNOCENT until you plead guilty, or are convicted in a court of law.

If thematter is set for juvie court, you won't get convicted.

You will simply be adjudicated delinquent.

You're MINORS, although some 17 year olds can be tried in adult court.

I suggest each of you discuss this with your parental units ASAP.

Agreed. The sooner you make your parents aware the better. They are the ones that will receive the demand for $225.
It isn't a fine and it there is no legal obligation to pay it. They can discuss their options with an attorney, but you have to tell then eventually.

No, as you describe it there is no police or court involvement and there likely won't be, even if they don't pay the demand (but they can get their attorneys opinion about that).

Back