Shared custody 50/50

Jurisdiction
Texas
I share 50/50 custody with my ex. I recently found out my 17 year old daughter is doing drugs. My ex refuses to communicate with me concerning this. She is staying with him and he pays for her car. I fear the worst could happen while driving under the influence. What can I do to help my daughter when I can't get either her or her father to communicate?

What can I do to help my daughter when I can't get either her or her father to communicate?

You can IMMEDIATELY report your concerns to your state's child protection agency or the local police agency with jurisdiction where your child resides!!!

You can IMMEDIATELY report your concerns to your state's child protection agency or the local police agency with jurisdiction where your child resides!!!
Considering I don't have enough information Because they have cut off communication how can I do this without creating a huge circus. If I am wrong I will jeopardize losing my daughter. I need her father to communicate.

Considering I don't have enough information Because they have cut off communication how can I do this without creating a huge circus. If I am wrong I will jeopardize losing my daughter. I need her father to communicate.
Is it that you "recently found out" that she is doing drugs or is it that you are simply concerned that she may be doing drugs?

There really is no way that you are going to be able to force dad to communicate with you.

On another point, can you better explain the custody situation? There is no such thing as "50/50 custody". Please tell us exactly what your court order states regarding custody.

Regrettably human being one is powerless to force or compel human being two to correspond with or communicate with human being one.

Human being one CAN anonymously drop a dime, eat cheese, or tip off child services or law enforcement who will investigate the tip.

Saving a human life is always worth any risk.

There is more to this and I would likely benefits
I believe I need an attorney. Do you have recommendations for anyone in Houston? I am particularly looking for someone who takes a human first approach and can think In the gray areas that law doesn't always address.

I believe I need an attorney. Do you have recommendations for anyone in Houston? I am particularly looking for someone who takes a human first approach and can think In the gray areas that law doesn't always address.
This is not an attorney referral board.
Please keep in mind that there is very little time left before your daughter turns 18...

I share 50/50 custody with my ex. I recently found out my 17 year old daughter is doing drugs. My ex refuses to communicate with me concerning this. She is staying with him and he pays for her car. I fear the worst could happen while driving under the influence. What can I do to help my daughter when I can't get either her or her father to communicate?

Report it to CPS.

If you know for a fact she's driving while intoxicated and when, call it in to the police if you can. If you don't live near there, have a friend do it. If I found out my kid was driving intoxicated I'd call it in. Or doing drugs. I hope she realizes once she's 18 - she gets caught she gets charged as an adult.

Well if you don't know for a fact then no, you can't report anything. How did you "recently find out" if you aren't sure? Hmm.

I recently found out my 17 year old daughter is doing drugs.

I'm curious how you found this out given your statement that both your daughter and her father "refuses to communicate with" you.

She is staying with him

This is inconsistent with your statement that you "share 50/50 custody with [your] ex." Is this "50/50" arrangement every other week? Every other month? When do you get visitation? Or are you saying that the current situation is something different than what is provided in your divorce decree?

What can I do to help my daughter when I can't get either her or her father to communicate?

Your post doesn't clearly raise a legal issue. However, to the extent it does, you're going to need to provide information about how you found out about your daughter's supposed drug use and your custody/visitation arrangements.

how can I do this without creating a huge circus.

Who cares? If you really care about "help[ing] [your] daughter" and preventing "the worst" from happening, it shouldn't matter in the slightest of a "circus" happens.

If I am wrong I will jeopardize losing my daughter.

Wait...what? In your original post, you made an absolute and unequivocal statement that your "daughter is doing drugs." But now you're saying that you "don't have enough information" and might be wrong?!

Yes, you can hire an attorney. However, if your ex isn't violating the divorce decree or custody order, there will be little or nothing than an attorney can do for you.

I know one thing all attorneys I know will do, myself included.

The attorney you retain will ALWAYS take your money if he/she agrees to represent you.

Back