Sexual Harassment That Happened On the Job As a Minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gra$3

Jurisdiction
Idaho
Hi,

I have a serious question.
When I worked as a grocery clerk for a grocery store chain, I experienced sexual harassment while on the job. It was not from an employee but from a customer. Shortly after I followed up with my manager about the incident that had just happened and nothing was done about it. I was 17 at the time this happened. I am now 24 and the statute of limitations to file a civil lawsuit has expired but I am still wondering if there is anything I can do. I would like to seek compensatory damages from the company for neglecting to take action. I called a law firm and someone suggested that I bring forth evidence and file a grievance to the company and tell them I want compensation or threaten to sue them. Can I be successful in doing that if the statute of limitations has expired?

Please, please help!

Can I be successful in doing that if the statute of limitations has expired?

No, you won't be successful so don't bother threatening it because the people you threaten have lawyers who will instruct them to ignore.

And if you did actually file the lawsuit, it's likely to be dismissed because it's time barred.

Further, your employer would have no liability for the acts of a customer.

t I am still wondering if there is anything I can do.

Depending on the nature of the harassment, you may be able to seek criminal charges against the person who did it, not against your employer.

If you want to try that route, consider talking to your local DA.

Hi,

I have a serious question.
When I worked as a grocery clerk for a grocery store chain, I experienced sexual harassment while on the job. It was not from an employee but from a customer. Shortly after I followed up with my manager about the incident that had just happened and nothing was done about it. I was 17 at the time this happened. I am now 24 and the statute of limitations to file a civil lawsuit has expired but I am still wondering if there is anything I can do. I would like to seek compensatory damages from the company for neglecting to take action. I called a law firm and someone suggested that I bring forth evidence and file a grievance to the company and tell them I want compensation or threaten to sue them. Can I be successful in doing that if the statute of limitations has expired?

Please, please help!
After you complained to the manager did the customer still bother you?
Define the harassment...give a general description of what occurred.

No, you won't be successful so don't bother threatening it because the people you threaten have lawyers who will instruct them to ignore.

And if you did actually file the lawsuit, it's likely to be dismissed because it's time barred.

Further, your employer would have no liability for the acts of a customer.

Depending on the nature of the harassment, you may be able to seek criminal charges against the person who did it, not against your employer.

If you want to try that route, consider talking to your local DA.

That's not true. According to the state of Idaho employers can still be liable for not taking legal steps to follow up on an incident that happened while on the job regardless of whether or not it was an employee. I have read my Idaho laws and know this as fact.

After you complained to the manager did the customer still bother you?
Define the harassment...give a general description of what occurred.

The particular person asked for a sexual favor. He was clearly an adult and I was still a minor. after this incident had happened I told my manager and nothing was done.

The particular person asked for a sexual favor. He was clearly an adult and I was still a minor. after this incident had happened I told my manager and nothing was done.
Why do you think nothing was done? The employer is not required to tell you of the actions they take...just to make sure the harassment stops.

Why do you think nothing was done? The employer is not required to tell you of the actions they take...just to make sure the harassment stops.

I was a MINOR when I reported that incident and I was on the job which means an investigation should have been pursued. At the very least the cops should have been called to report a pedophile. Also, when you are a victim of a reported incident in the workplace an investigation is required to be done which requires verbal and written statements from the victim. So yes, the employer is required to have the victim be part of the resolution.

I was a MINOR when I reported that incident and I was on the job which means an investigation should have been pursued. At the very least the cops should have been called to report a pedophile. Also, when you are a victim of a reported incident in the workplace an investigation is required to be done which requires verbal and written statements from the victim. So yes, the employer is required to have the victim be part of the resolution.
1. The customer was not a pedophile ...a pig, yes...but not a pedophile. Don't use terms you don't understand as it takes away your credibility.

2. The manager was not conducting a criminal investigation. What you think was required of them was not.

I am tagging @cbg who is an expert in HR issues/policies.

1. The customer was not a pedophile ...a pig, yes...but not a pedophile. Don't use terms you don't understand as it takes away your credibility.

2. The manager was not conducting a criminal investigation. What you think was required of them was not.

I am tagging @cbg who is an expert in HR issues/policies.

Under Idaho state law it is a misdemeanor to fail to report child abuse after a party has become aware of the incident. Obviously, the manager wasn't going to pursue a criminal investigation because he's not in the position of legal authority but what should have happened was steps should have been taken for a criminal investigation to be pursued by legal authority because the private party became aware that the child abuse had taken place. Under Idaho law, child abuse is defined as soliciting a child to engage in sexual conduct in either a written or verbal sense. Either way, the man was guilty of being a sex offender, he just didn't get caught.

Like seriously, listen to yourself right now. You're practically saying that nothing legal needed to pursue after a minor reported solicitation of a sexual favor from an adult. How does that even make sense?

Gra$3, since you clearly do not understand the laws you are reading in the least, please consult with an Idaho attorney who can explain them to you and review any options you might still have.

That's not true. According to the state of Idaho employers can still be liable for not taking legal steps to follow up on an incident that happened while on the job regardless of whether or not it was an employee. I have read my Idaho laws and know this as fact.

Good for you.

However, this site DISCOURAGES arguing, badgering, and hectoring.

There's nothing more we can do for you here, you're self informed.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back