Severance contractual obligation reminder letter?

James S

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
Hello,

Summary: I am concerned that my former employer will not honor items in my severance contract as I apply for new job positions, so I'm thinking about sending a "reminder letter" about their contractual obligations. Are letters like this rare? If not, are there examples I could write myself, or is it better left to an attorney?

More Context: I left my previous job under less than amicable circumstances with my employer. As such there is a severance contract between us meant to protect us both and some sensitive information. As part of that agreement, my former employer is obligated to provide a neutral reference, make no admission of wrongdoing, and communicate no information about why the separation occurred. I am also held to the same expectations.

However, in six months since I left the position, they have engaged in some actions that, while not prohibited by the contract, are clearly petty and childish behaviors seemingly meant to "rub salt in the wound". I've started my own business in that time, but am I'm considering supplementing that work with some summer university teaching. According to the contract, I should be able to allow potential employers to contact my last job without worry, but I am concerned.

Thank you for your guidance and advice.

Are letters like this rare?

I'd have no way of ascertaining if such letters are rare.

If an employer were to receive such a letter, after the giggling, crackling, guffawing, and laughing had subsided; I don't think the employer would be enticed or intimated into complying with it's reminders.

I am concerned that my former employer will not honor items in my severance contract

Why? And what terms are you concerned about?

are there examples I could write myself, or is it better left to an attorney?

I have no idea what's out there on the internet. And, without having more information about your concerns, I can't reach any sort of conclusion about the advisability of retaining an attorney.

Back