Settlement

Hutch1920

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Should I accept an out of court agreement of a monthly amount from my soon to be ex or take my chances and see what I am entitled to in court?
I have been a stay at home mother for 21 years. We've been married 25 years. I've worked admin at our business for 8 years. It looks like on paper I'd be better off to take the monthly agreement than taking a chance in court. I will not sign anything with this man!
Also, what reason would he have to want his name taken off my vehicle at this point when we are still married? And removed me from his auto insurance.
Thanks!

You shouldn't do, say, accept, or agree to ANYTHING without seeking the advice of a licensed attorney in Indiana.

If you and this trickster were married for 25 years, at least 40-50% of what he and you amassed over the years could be yours!!!!

Your lawyer will be more precise than I can be, AFTER he or she has investigated your financial situation.

Yes, some of that 100% of stuff he says is his, will soon be yours alone.

He can't eat that whole pie.

While the case is pending, don't communicate with him.

He'll only lie to you, trick you, scare you, bully you so he can bamboozle ALL of that pie for him and his new playmate!!!!

Don't worry about how you'll pay the lawyer.

If you and the attorney agree, he or she will get paid by the deadbeat, bully, bum you're trying to divorce.

Just so you know, an out of court agreement is often worthless, much like the promises the lying, conniving, cheating THING you mistakenly believed when you married the scoundrel.

More often than not divorces are handled by settlements agreed upon outside of a court room. Only an attorney who has reviewed your entire situation and the agreement can tell you if it is a good deal or if you are better off rolling the dice in court. I would not automatically count on him being responsible for your legal fees, but most divorce lawyers do offer payment plans or try legal aid or law school clinics if finances are an issue.

If you are talking about the title on a vehicle, at some point only one name will be on it as you will not have joint property. If it is your car, it makes sense to get it in your name. He will have to sign paperwork to do so and it is not uncommon to handle these more or less straight forward divisions of property prior to the actual divorce. Same with auto insurance. Eventually that will need to be separate anyway. If you are up for renewal, now is a good time to shop for rates and go your separate ways.

Agree with Army Judge that you are heading for a royal screwing without an attorney.

Also agree with ElleMD that settlement agreements can be reached out-of-court but it will take an attorney to make sure you don't get screwed and whatever settlement agreement the attorney gets for you is memorialized in a written divorce decree signed by the judge and made a permanent court record.

Back