Services Unpaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander756

First let me say that the money I'm talking about here is really paltry, $40. The guy has just been such a jerk about things that it almost seems worth it to try to force him to pay me so that he learns his lesson to not scam others in the future. It's not about the money but the principle of the matter.

Anyway, I recently performed a service for someone online through a business forum. He agreed to pay me $40 to submit his website to 200 site directories. We agreed that he would pay half of the money up front and the other half after completion of the job.

After I completed the job, I emailed him to instruct him to pay the remaining $20. At first, he tried to say that I told him the job cost $20 and that he already paid that up front. After I quoted to him from our forum conversation which I had saved where we clearly agreed on a $40 price tag, he made up a different reason why he wouldn't pay.

He said that he had to spend hours confirming the email verifications sent to him by these directories and so he thinks we are even because he shouldn't have had to do that and felt I should have done it.

The problem is, that when I asked for his information, I had him send me an email address which I clearly told him would be used to have the directory verification emails sent to. He gave me a private email address that he never gave me access to. If he gave a private email which he knew I could not access, he obviously can't assume I would verify the emails sent to it. It was also never stated anywhere in our agreement that I would verify the emails, only submit the site to the directories.

The fact he lied and tried to originally make up an excuse then changed his reasoning really irks me. I want to get this guy to pay me the money I'm owed but I don't know how to go about doing this since it was an online transaction instead of in person.

Last edited:
Let it go - seriously. The amount of money involved here is so negligible, and it will likely boil down to "he said, she said".

I have all of the conversations saved though so it's not a he said, she said. The agreement on here is a valid contract which he is to be held to. Like I said, this isn't about the money, it's about the principle. This guy shouldn't be allowed to go around ripping people off and I feel that if I don't stand up to him he'll continue this behavior.

All I'm looking for is advice on how and where to go about filing in small claims for business conducted through the internet. According to his information, he lives in San Jose and I live in New York. So where would I go?

Wow that is silly I would have thought internet business would be different. I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice & Jurisprudence and the general feeling I took away from most laws is that they seem like common sense when you think about it but having to file where the other person lives in an internet suit really makes no sense to me. Doesn't that kind of encourage people who make long-distance dealings to try to scam others because they won't have to fear legal reprisal?

Wow that is silly I would have thought internet business would be different. I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice & Jurisprudence and the general feeling I took away from most laws is that they seem like common sense when you think about it but having to file where the other person lives in an internet suit really makes no sense to me. Doesn't that kind of encourage people who make long-distance dealings to try to scam others because they won't have to fear legal reprisal?

Caveat emptor :) (and I'm not saying that to be mean)

Seriously though - it's a civil suit about an internet matter...the matter itself is largely irrelevant in terms of jurisdiction. Yes, this can encourage scammers - which is why there are so many of 'em about - but responsibility does also fall upon the buyer.

Do you think that when one prevails in a lawsuit, the judge forces the loser to pay the winner?

No, all you get is a judgment.

Then you have to collect on that judgment, a mere piece of paper.

That's why I have started a business that collects judgments.

Even if you win, how would you enforce (collect) that judgment against an out of state person?

To paraphrase the song, you gotta know when to fold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that when one prevails in a lawsuit, the judge forces the loser to pay the winner?

No, all you get is a judgment.

Then you have to collect on that judgment, aere piece of paper.

That's why I have started a business that collects judgments.

Even if you win, how would you enforce (collect) that judgment against an out of state person?

To paraphrase the song, you gotta know when to fold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. It would cost FAR more to enforce the judgment than the judgment is actually worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back