Secxual Harassment Retaliation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachelgilliam

Make that title Sexual Harassment Retaliation. Opps.

I am totally stressed.

I was in a manager training program at America's Thrift Stores, which is a chain of thrift stores.

I was being sexually harassed by one of the dock unloaders there. Initially it was him winking and blowing kisses at me and the like...which I said something along the lines of... " I am married. Not interested" to him. that went on for awhile. I just rolled my eyes at him and ignored it.

It eventually got to the point that he cornered me and tried to kiss me. I shoved him off and told the night supervisor. The night supervisor largely told me to be more firm with him and deal with it myself so I tried. I did not want to cause a lot of drama because this guy who was harassing me is the father of the day supervisors children..

Then one day he bit my love handle on the dock. I shoved him off and tried to be firm as directed. I told the night supervisor again and he said he would talk to him man to man. I don't know if that ever happened.

Then one day he was waiting in the parking lot after I got off work. He gets off 1.5 hours before me. He tried to get me to get in to his car and kiss him. I got in my car and left. He said he was bringing some of his babies clothes to donate, so i didn't say anything that time because what proof did I have?

Then one day he FOLLOWED me home. He tried to give me some cell phones he had stolen from the thrift store. I had admired the phones on the back dock but had ABSOLUTELY NOT asked him to take them for me or anything. I took the phones, lied and said my husband was parked in the garage even though he wasn't, went into my house, and took the phones back to the store when my husband got home.

I talked again to the night supervisor, since he was the only one on duty at the time. I gave him the phones and told him what happened. He told me not to say anything about them and that he would put them in the safe.

The next day, I told the store manager...but I left out the part about the phones because the night supervisor had asked me not to say anything. I did end up telling the store manager about them later that evening.

Immediately after I told the store manager, I said to the day supervisor, who has kids with the harasser.... "Arturo followed me home the yesterday. It is not the first time he has been creepy with me." Of course she got upset and talked to him, and then was so upset that she left for the day.

They found that there was sexual harassment, and then they fired the harasser. I was later fired for.

1. Failure to properly and timely report sexual harassment
2. Informing and employee of sexual misconduct creating an emotional disturbance
3. Mishandling ministry donations.

Is this retaliation?

They say that the night supervisor was my subordinate, because I was a manager in training and should have reported it directly to the manager. ( I was being TRAINED by the night supervisor. I figured he was my supervisor)

I should not have told the day supervisor and created emotional disturbances
( she is a supervisor)

And that I involved the harasser and night supervisor in mishandling ministry donations. ( i didn't ask for this stuff. I brought it right back and got advice from the highest person on duty.)

They also say I was flirting with the harasser, which is totally untrue.

The sexual harassment policy says:
"Any employee who believes he or she has been the subject of sexual harassment should 1. notify the appropriate level of upper management 2. report the alleged act to their immediate supervisor or a member of store management at their location without fear of reprisal. Such reports should be followed by a written report setting forth the relevant facts of the incident. All complaints should be followed by a written report setting forth the relevant facts of the incident. All complaints will be investigated in a discreet manager and corrective action will be taken as appropriate. A verbal report to a supervisor if all that is require for the company to take action. A written report ill be required by the company as part of the investigation. Remember, this is an employee manual.

Finally if you feel that America's Thrift Stores of Georgia Inc has not met its obligation under the policy, you should contact BLANK, corporate security manager at BLANK."

I now know that I should have gone to the store manager originally, and reported this, but I was scared and thought I could handle it. I had heard that another girl had also reported this guy harassing her, and nothing was done. A lot of my coworkers were being harassed by this guy too. In hind site. I also probably should not have told his wife, who is a supervisor, but I was scared and wanted everyone who could protect me to know. Plus, I would want to know if my husband was a creep so I could kick his butt.

Was I wrong. Do I have any recourse. I already filed with the EEOC, but am having trouble getting through unemployment. I had my appeal hearing today. I sent them 17 pages of evidence, and I have a confirmation, but my hearing officer did not get it for some reason.

At my hearing, the store manager said I knew mwangi the night supervisor was my subordinate. ( I honestly didn't. The guy was training me) and that I had been flirting with Arturo. (not true. I have a report showing that sexual harassment was found and Arturo was fired) and that I had tried to hide the phones from him. ( I gave them to the night supervisor who put them in the safe and asked me not to say anything about them)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back