Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Second dui San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justme67

This is my bf's second dui in seven years. What can be expected in court? I put in a copy of the police report and related facts. Does anyone think he stands a good chance of being found guilty?

POLICE REPORT

Arresting officer police report - Bexar County, San Antonio, Texas

Occurrence Friday, November 27th, 12:45 a.m... Weather conditions, cool and dry.

While on patrol in a marked patrol vehicle, I was monitoring the westbound traffic lanes of IH 10 W at Ramsgate on a large right shoulder. The listed vehicle drove onto the right shoulder adjacent to my patrol vehicle at a high rate of speed. I confirmed the rate of speed to be 80 mph in a 65 mph zone in lane 3 of 3. The vehicle continued on westbound in lane 3 and drifted onto the right shoulder and into lane 2, failing to maintain a single lane of travel. I initiated a traffic stop at the listed location and the vehicle stopped in a private driveway.

I approached the vehicle from the driver's side to identify the driver AP. While talking with the AP, I identified myself and explained to the AP why he was stopped. I observed the AP spoke with a very noticeable slurred speech, had bloodshot/glassy eyes, had a strong odor of intoxicants on his breath, fumbled with is wallet while retrieving his driver's license, and also fumbled with his paperwork looking for his insurance with think fingers.

I asked the AP where he was coming from and he stated with slurred speech that he was "visiting with friends over there". The AP stated "I was over there having a" and stopped himself mid sentence. The AP also stated that he was working all day and took some people out.

I requested the AP to exit the vehicle and submit to SFSTS. The first test administered was the HGN. The AP had to be reminded several times to follow the stimulus (pen light), having difficulty following directions. I observed all six clues including vertical nystagmus. The second test administered was the walk and turn. The AP again had a difficult time following directions.

The AP started before being told several times, could not balance during instructions, did not touch heel to toe front and return, stepped off line front and return, used arms for balance front, turned incorrectly and took the wrong number of steps front. The third and final test administered was the one leg stand. The AP swayed, used his arms for balance and put his foot down seven times.

Due to my observations and the AP's performance on the SFSTS, I felt the AP could no operate a motor vehicle safely and he was driving intoxicated. I placed the AP into handcuffs and secured him into my patrol vehicle. I advised the AP of his rights via SAPD form 66-E and he refused to answer any questions. I read the AP the DIC form 24 and requested a breath sample, and he refused. I provided the AP a copy of the DIC form 24 and the DIC form 25.

The listed vehicle was towed to Growdon Pound by a contract wrecker. I transported the AP to 401 S. Frio where he was booked for PC 49.04 DWI Second. The AP stated while being transported without being asked a question and brought up in general conversation that he had a couple of beers when he went out with friends. [/COLOR]The AP was found to have a previous conviction for DUI on 11/14/2002.

MISCELLANEOUS INFO FROM POLICE REPORT.

He received a "Statutory Warning" for refusing to provide a specimen and refused to sign the warning. He then received a "Notice of Suspension Temporary Driving Permit" because he was arrested for a DWI and refused to provide a specimen and his license was confiscated.

STATEMENT OF THE FACTS TO HIS ATTORNEY.

He works in retail. He had been working from Friday November 20, 2009 through Thursday November 26, 2009 (Thanksgiving day). He had been working 11-12 hours per day except for Thanksgiving day which he worked 5am until 1:30pm. Retail is very stressful during the holidays

He ate a sandwich at about 10am & had 4 slices of pizza for dinner at about 3pm. He was watching all day and then left his apartment at about 9;30pm & went to a bar where he had 3 Crown and Cokes. [/COLOR]He left the bar about 12:45am and was on his way home when he noticed a police car on the right side of the road and he followed him for awhile before pulling him over. The officer said he had been speeding and that he also went off the side of the road and that is why he pulled him over. The officer, asked him for his driver's liscence and insurance cards which he had both. He then had him get out of his vehicle and asked him to take a breath test, which was refused. He gave him an eye test which he thought he passed and then the officer had him do the walking test in which the officer felt he could not pass and arrested him for dwi. He was nervous, it was 46 degrees and the sport jersey he was wearing is very thin. The officer placed him in two hand cuffs, to make him comfortable, and placed him in the rear of his car. The officer waited for the wrecker service to get his car and then started to transport him to jail.

He asked if he could call his friend so he could make arrangements to get him out of jail and the officer responded, "If you can get your phone out of your pocket". He reached around his body and got his cell phone out of his left front pocket and placed a call to his friend and told him he had been arrested because the officer thought he was drunk. He was taken to jail and processed and was then released about 11am with a bond. His friend picked him up, took him to the Bails Bond office where he signed paperwork and then we went to get his car out of impound. He was home by 1:30pm.

He has a previous dui from 2002, this making it his second.

Last edited:
Hire a good lawyer, versed in defending DUI offenses. Texas has a five year rule, whereby if your prior DUI was more than five years ago, the charge won't be enhaned upon conviction and sentencing. This could mean probation vs state jail vs TDCJ.

It was a mistake NOT to blow or give a blood sample. Peremptorily his license is lifted. Had he blown, he'd have retained his driving privilege until sentencing, had he been convicted.

Get a good DUI lawyer in Austin. Ask around, there are several.

He may not be convicted, but he sure as heck will have his license lifted. Some lawyers win 80% of these cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the information given in the report I can't imagine why he wouldn't be convicted of the DUI. He didn't give the sample, but the objective symptoms were all there. The reason for the traffic stop was legit, he failed all the FST's, admitted that he had been drinking, refused the breath/blood test... he really doesn't have a chance of beating it, but a good lawyer might help to minimize the damage.

You highlighted the portion where he admits to having been drinking- Yes, his admission can be used against him. The officer was not questioning him and the statement was made voluntarily, so Miranda is not an issue here if that is what you were thinking.

Also- as a general rule, the amount of alcohol that a person admits to drinking can usually be doubled or even tripled. It's amazing how many people get DUI's after having just two beers. Three Crown & Cokes is probably really 5-6, or else he is just a light weight.

Anyway- if he goes to trial he will absolutely be found guilty unless he can manage to pay off the jury.

I thought they threw out the 5 year rule and that any conviction after the first no matter how far apart in time, is considered the second and the punishment is treated as a second.

He doesn't believe he was drunk but instead was just tired and nervous. He's tall and average weight and does drink, and I feel he believes it takes more alcohol to get him drunk that what he had that night.

IF convicted, is he looking at jail time?

I thought they threw out the 5 year rule and that any conviction after the first no matter how far apart in time, is considered the second and the punishment is treated as a second.

Upon motion of the defendant, it can be granted at the judge's discretion. At least, that's how its done in my backyard.

He doesn't believe he was drunk but instead was just tired and nervous. He's tall and average weight and does drink, and I feel he believes it takes more alcohol to get him drunk that what he had that night.
Those are facts that potentially can be introduced at trial. Get him a GOOD lawyer. You don't need to convince us here, save that for the courtroom.

IF convicted, is he looking at jail time?
Possibly, it is up to his lawyer and the judge, maybe a jury.

Those are facts that potentially can be introduced at trial. Get him a GOOD lawyer. You don't need to convince us here, save that for the courtroom.

I'm afraid that's what he is thinking everyone else will believe. Sadly I can't see it. Looks like a losing battle.

I'm afraid that's what he is thinking everyone else will believe. Sadly I can't see it. Looks like a losing battle.

Get a good lawyer, and work on a plea.
All is never lost.
He's already made a couple of mistakes, that others have noted above.
He should also get help for his drinking problem.
Don't let him say that he doesn't have one.
Get him in a good program and let him get to work fixing his issues.

He doesn't believe he was drunk but instead was just tired and nervous.

That reasoning has never worked for anyone else. It won't work for him either. The report is pretty thorough. He failed every sobriety test miserably. He may not believe he was drunk, but he clearly was.

MightyMoose,

I wasn't there but I believe that you are correct. How long does court roughly take in these cases? I know no one can say for sure,but any predicted outcome?

Justme67 said:
MightyMoose,

I wasn't there but I believe that you are correct. How long does court roughly take in these cases? I know no one can say for sure,but any predicted outcome?

A trial on matters like these takes less than hour.

If you plea, the plea agreement will take longer than the sentencing.

If you're asking how long it'll take to conclude this matter, usually 90-120 days.

By the way, your inclusion of the police report was a great idea. It let us understand this matter, making it easier to offer our opinions. Thanks for doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. It helps to learn these things from people who know what they are talking about.

He told the lawyer he had 3 crowns and cokes, but then told the police office something different, he had a couple of beers. I believe the police officer/court do not know about the crown and cokes.

While in court, does the prosecution ask how much and what he had to drink? Will he have to admitt to ALL he had been drinking?

While in court, does the prosecution ask how much and what he had to drink? Will he have to admitt to ALL he had been drinking?
He doesn't have to testify.
I'm sure his lawyer will work with him to decide the best course of action.
You should work on getting him to start attending AA.
You might look into AlAnon to support his recovery and keep your sanity.

I hate to say it, but it will be a miracle if he isn't convicted of a dui. I can't imagine what he could plea down to, IF they would even let him considering the amount of evidence against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back