Scared to go home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avah

I will try to keep this brief and to the point. I was divorced and agreed to joint custody and I agreed to let the kids stay in their own home with their dad, because he promised we would get back together, I know I was stupid.

All this time he has mading seeing them impossible, so I took what I could get. I never had the money for a lawyer as I was on disability. My kids are now 18 and 20 and I only recently found out he sued for back child support. He told me a long time ago not to worry about it, as he made almost 100,000 a yr, but I would send money when I could. Well now I am faced with this huge debt, and I had I known I would never have let this happen. We put nothing in writing, therefore I cannot prove anything.

The thing is, I am now living in Sweden, remarried, but with the new passport law, I am terrified to go home to see my parents who are older and ill. I want to make this right, but I don't have that amount of money and it would take me the rest of my life to earn it. What can I do legally to be able to visit home, yet be allowed to return to my husband?

Thanks,
Avah

I seriously need advice

Does anyone have any idea how I go about resolving this situation? I for real need some advice.

You need to see an attorney in the state where this took place. Sounds like a CS judgement was entered in default. It's possible your ex had you incorrectly served.

In the decree, was there no CS order? If you werre on disability and the ex filed for CS, you would get a benefit for the kids.

Get all the emotional support you can from friends and professionals. I have been abused and the fear scars never go away. Can you get a friend to go with you on the trip. Try to remember you and your children deserve this money and it is owed to you. Be strong, fight for your rights, but don't do it alone.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back