Same Job, different pay (same gender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikenoodles

My co-worker got demoted from a lead position to a material handler position, (we now both share the same responsibilities at work), about a year ago. I recently found out he is still getting is pay as a lead. The company policy, for the current position we both occupy, is a set hour rate with a extra .25 cents for shift differential. Regardless of which department you work in. Also, there are co-workers that have been with the company longer and have more experience but they get too get paid less for the same job. My question, is it legal for the company I work for to pay this individual more money then the rest of us?

My co-worker got demoted from a lead position to a material handler position, (we now both share the same responsibilities at work), about a year ago. I recently found out he is still getting is pay as a lead. The company policy, for the current position we both occupy, is a set hour rate with a extra .25 cents for shift differential. Regardless of which department you work in. Also, there are co-workers that have been with the company longer and have more experience but they get too get paid less for the same job. My question, is it legal for the company I work for to pay this individual more money then the rest of us?

An employer has no obligation to pay a stocker Susie the same rate as Stocker Jimmy receives.
The employer could pay clerk Bertha $25.00/hour, and senior clerk Jerry $15.00/hour.
Clerk Bertha has been employed two years, while Senior Clerk Jerry has bene employe 15 years.

The only time any of that nonsense would matter is if a CBA existed, otherwise why Jimmy gets $250,000 a year to take 50 minute breaks every hour, and Billy works his tail off, taking only his 20 minute lunch break for $35,000 a year as Jimmy (the owner's son) is not illegal.

Its capitalism, and that's the way it is, free enterprise.

If the wage delta bothers you, ask your employer about it. Heck, demand that you be paid more, or the other guy be paid less.

Bottom line, the law doesn't care about this.

All employees do not have to be treated or paid the same as long as they are not discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law or as long as there is not a binding employment contract to the contrary.

There are any number of LEGAL reasons why one employee might be paid more than another doing the same job. In this case, it might simply be that they didn't want to reduce his pay when they shifted his position. Nothing illegal about that.

And, quite frankly, it's none of your business who gets paid what or why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back