Sales Competition

Malichite

Jurisdiction
Texas
The company I work for has regular sales "competitions" between the stores where we have to suggestively sell a particular product or products (i.e. 20 oz. Coca-Cola products, off brand cookies, etc.). The number of required minimum sales used to be somewhat reasonable, around 20 or so a day. However, the numbers required have jumped to 50 a day, minimum, and if we don't meet the goal we, the Store Manager included, risk getting written up my the higher management (District Manager+). This has put us into a tight situation. When we are unable to meet the minimum goals, the we end up buying to make up the difference, which can sometimes be the minimum sales goal on slow days where we can't make a suggestive sale sale. This has put us into a tight spot financially. About a third of my last few paychecks have gone to helping to make the goal, and my boss has been making up most of the sales on most days. The way the competitions have been handled has always seemed a bit fishy to me, but now were in a corner, and I want to know if it's even legal for them to threaten write ups, disciplinary actions, etc., for not making these unreasonable goals.

I'm not sure what a "suggestive" sale is...not that it matters.

Yes, it is legal to issue write-ups if you don't meet the goals, reasonable or otherwise. No, they can't force you to buy product in order to meet the goals.

I'm not sure what a "suggestive" sale is.

"Psst, customer, how about buying these cookies, cola, whatever. It's a really good deal."

:D

I'll bet the District Manager and his cronies know that the sheep are buying the goods to make goal and they are laughing all the way to their bonuses.

I want to know if it's even legal for them to threaten write ups, disciplinary actions, etc., for not making these unreasonable goals.

Many businesses are seeking qualified, helpful, customer focused, easy going, polite, and responsible employees.

Rather than spend your time getting gouged, cheated, overworked, threatened, and forced to buy junk you don't need; find yourself a better job, working for a kinder, gentler, fairer employer!!!

When people around you get all whacky, its time for you to shout, "Goodbye, I ain't no lackey!"

Let us know when you land that next great job, and here's hoping you'll also get yourself at least a $10.00/hour raise!!!!!

You didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is, but (1) there's nothing illegal about imposing sales goals, and (2) you're not required to buy the stuff in order to meet the goals.

Back