Rounding away of time

Max88

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hi, new member here. I'm currently an employee at Amazon and have been for roughly 3 years. I'm used to a fair amount of abuse from this company(much more than I've ever experienced from several years at Walmart) and even endured a decrease in overall pay recently when Amazon announced it was bumping up it's starting wages to much public praise, while quietly gutting our benefits behind the scenes. My question is in regards to the rounding away of our time however. I've learned that it is legal to round to an extent but where are the lines drawn legally? The rounding only ever goes against us and there is no instance in which time would ever be rounded in our favor. We're allowed to clock in 5 min early that we aren't compensated for and with some of the more experienced roles I play I often have to stay over as well and if I clock out 5 min after my scheduled shift, I am not paid for that either unless I'm staying longer. They take up to and often do take the full 10 min a day from me that I'm clocked in for and working and the idea of all that loss adding up over the years is starting to bug me. I'd appreciate any legal clarification on the matter, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

If you dislike your current employment situation find one that better suits your tastes.

You'll never get a behemoth to care about a moth.

If you can't resist the urge to gripe, whine, and moan talk to your manager or HR.

The sooner you've placed a target on your back, the sooner you can be shown the exit sign.

Fact Sheet - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor
"Some employers track employee hours worked in 15 minute increments, and the FLSA allows an employer to round employee time to the nearest quarter hour. However, an employer may violate the FLSA minimum wage and overtime pay requirements if the employer always rounds down. Employee time from 1 to 7 minutes may be rounded down, and thus not counted as hours worked, but employee time from 8 to 14 minutes must be rounded up and counted as a quarter hour of work time. See Regulations 29 CFR 785.48(b)."

Back