Rights for person in no common law state

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLuna

I have been living with my boyfriend for over 10 years. He worked, I did not.
We bought a house (both our names are on title) and adopted a special needs child together.
We are now splitting up and he wants to go on his merry way alone. He wants to sell the house or wants me to buy him out. I want to keep it but as I said I have not worked. He quit his job and is not making any payments on the house trying to get me to sell or force me out. We may loose everything because of his quitting his job
Do my daughter and I have any rights at all beings Oregon does not recognize common law relationships?

When you do not marry someone, essentially you lose most rights. Most states do not recognize common law marriages, only about 10 do and I don't believe Oregon is one of them. All you would be entitled to is child support. You are most definitely going to have to get a job. He cannot throw you out on the streets immed. but he can go through proper eviction procedures to get you out of the home. Either of you can ask for custody of the child.

You should see an attorney, but If I were you I would be looking for someplace else to stay and go to your states child support website to see about filing for child support.

Since both of your names are on the title, he cannot throw you out. However, the bank will take it back if the payments aren't made. You probably need to think about selling and each taking your share. A bigger problem is your child. You are going to have to come up with a custody and child support agreement. You need to contact your local welfare agency to see what support is available.

My bad I didnt realize that you both are on title. If thats the case, he cannot throw you out. Either the house will need to be sold, or one of you has to buy the other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back