Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Right To Court Appointed Lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaGuy21

I have a friend who received a DUI in Chattanooga and can not afford to pay to have herself represented. She went to court and was told that she could not get a court appointed lawyer to represent her because of how high she blew (.17). This didn't sound right to me. Is there anything she can do to get someone to represent her during the legal proceedings without shelling out thousands of dollars for a lawyer? She currently does not live in TN and has to make a 2 hour drive to Chattanooga.

Thanks.

That's strange. They should have to provide one as long as she can prove she cannot financially afford one.

I have a friend who received a DUI in Chattanooga and can not afford to pay to have herself represented. She went to court and was told that she could not get a court appointed lawyer to represent her because of how high she blew (.17). This didn't sound right to me. Is there anything she can do to get someone to represent her during the legal proceedings without shelling out thousands of dollars for a lawyer? She currently does not live in TN and has to make a 2 hour drive to Chattanooga.

Thanks.

This website explains court appointed counsel in TN:

http://www.tn.gov/tccy/tnchild/scr/scr-13.htm

She might make too much money to qualify for a court appointed attorney.

But, there is no way that her breat alcohol level disqualified her from having a court appointed attroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back