Revenue generated by one

chas321

Jurisdiction
Michigan
If only one of three siblings spends time generating new revenue by selling an easement for a few years while trying to sell the willed property, then property is sold, should any of the newly gained revenue be distributed differently? In other words, should not the sibling who created revenue be compensated in some way? The same person was able to get tax rebates from the county and insurance claims paid but is not getting any financial consideration for over $100,000 generated.

If only one of three siblings spends time generating new revenue by selling an easement for a few years while trying to sell the willed property, then property is sold, should any of the newly gained revenue be distributed differently? In other words, should not the sibling who created revenue be compensated in some way? The same person was able to get tax rebates from the county and insurance claims paid but is not getting any financial consideration for over $100,000 generated.

Do you recall The Three Little Pigs?

You're the smart, industrious little piggy.

The two dumb little piggies would be the ones you must convince.

I suspect the lazy two admire Tom Sawyer, mate.

If I were you, I'd take whatever I could get, after all anything you receive is found money.

Plus, unless the the property sells, none of you take a dollar.

should not the sibling who created revenue be compensated in some way?

Are you the sibling who accomplished all those wonderful things (apparently voluntarily) and now wants to get paid extra?

Are you also the court appointed representative of the estate?

Those are important questions so please answer them.

Are you the sibling who accomplished all those wonderful things (apparently voluntarily) and now wants to get paid extra?

Are you also the court appointed representative of the estate?

Those are important questions so please answer them.

OP, he's right, the questions are important.

Do you recall The Three Little Pigs?

You're the smart, industrious little piggy.

The two dumb little piggies would be the ones you must convince.

I suspect the lazy two admire Tom Sawyer, mate.

If I were you, I'd take whatever I could get, after all anything you receive is found money.

Plus, unless the the property sells, none of you take a dollar.
Property sold, others owe estate money but won't recognize revenue I generated as I seek equal distribution. So I need to claim some revenue generation. Is that legal, likely?

Property sold, others owe estate money but won't recognize revenue I generated as I seek equal distribution. So I need to claim some revenue generation. Is that legal, likely?

Probably not.

Likely problematic for you, as you acted without the legal authority to do so.

Selling the easement unilaterally, without seeking the approval of the other owners places you in legal jeopardy.

I suggest you discuss the matter with a local attorney or two.

Probably not.

Likely problematic for you, as you acted without the legal authority to do so.

Selling the easement unilaterally, without seeking the approval of the other owners places you in legal jeopardy.

I suggest you discuss the matter with a local attorney or two.
I got the approval from the others, signed.

If only one of three siblings spends time generating new revenue by selling an easement for a few years while trying to sell the willed property, then property is sold, should any of the newly gained revenue be distributed differently?

You've provided no background or context here.

Given the reference to an easement, I assume we're talking about a piece of real property, and given that you posted this on a board about estate administration, I assume the real property is owned by the estate. If all that's correct, then the revenue is the property of the estate and, upon the sale of the property, the proceeds of sale become property of the estate, to be used to pay estate debt and, if there is anything left over, to be distributed in accordance with the terms of the deceased's will or the applicable intestate law. Since you didn't tell us if the deceased had a will or how these three siblings were related to the deceased, there's not much more we can tell you.

In other words, should not the sibling who created revenue be compensated in some way?

Again, you've provided almost no background or context, except that your most recent post indicates that you're not the executor. That being the case, how was it that you were able to convey the easement? Did you do the legwork and get the executor to sign the deed for the easement?

Assuming you and your two siblings are the only beneficiaries of the estate, if they both agree to give you some compensation for whatever you did to generate this easement, then that's all you need. However, if they don't agree, you'll have to apply to the court, and I suggest you consult with a local probate attorney.

Back