RetiredInIowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetiredInIowa

My jurisdiction is: Polk County, Iowa

My jurisdiction is: Iowa

My husband was divorced from his former spouse (of eighteen years) in 2004 (we have been married since 2005). My husband did not want the divorce, but Iowa is a "no fault" state so she got the divorce she seeked. During the time that they were separated/going through the divorce process, she played on my husband's emotions and conned him into giving up all rights to their marital homestead, her 401k, their home furnishings, etc., by promising him that, IF he would let her have what she wanted in the divorce, they would get back together (for the sake of the minor child, she said) and live together - just not as a married couple anymore. Of course, as soon as their divorce was final his ex never honored her verbal promises. All my husband ever wanted was his family to stay together (they have a son together, who is now an adult). Does my husband have any legal ability (ie. Modification of Divorce Decree) to renegotiate their divorce settlement, based on the fact that she gave false promises to manipulate him into giving up what they should have split equally. (My husband did have his own lawyer but the lawyer kept suggesting to sign off on her demands in order to keep the cost of the divorce low). Any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Probably not. That was a pretty ridiculous promise for her to make and for him to believe her. Why are you married to him, since he is obviously still hung up on his ex wife. If he didn't still love her he would not be concerned about it. Your husband had a lousy attorney. Only what he signed off on on paper is what he is entitled too pls too much time has passed for him to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back