Retail Theft Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

loser20

Hello!

Quick question regarding the Retail Theft Databases. From what I can tell, these private theft databases need to come into alignment with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Does this mean that the database is purged of an incident after seven years of the incident being entered? Or that a potential employer is not able to ask for information from more than seven years ago? I'm asking specifically about the USMA theft database created/owned by USIS. I made a mistake as an 18 year old and I'm wondering if I can finally put it behind me without having it resurface in an interview or background check. Charges were never filed against me, so I have no criminal record. Any help would be appreciated. There is no need to lecture me or call me out as a thief. I get and I fully respect your perspective. Over the past 10 years I have regretted nothing more, I'm just looking for help. Thank you in advance.

I ma a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Any name on these databases typically drop off after 7 years. Whether or not an employer can ask is different. However employers tend to ask about convictions if there was no conviction or court you have nothing to fear. Far as fair crediting reporting goes there was a law suit on one of the databases due to this. The solution to this was to change how they list shoplifters on these databases. In order to get around this issue they are calling it "policy violation" rather than theft.

Also, I would assume a retailer like Kohl's for example would run all of their potential employees through the databases, corporate or not? Maybe that question would be more easily answered as I am not applying in a store as a cashier. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for your clarification. I have read some of your other posts and I really appreciate your insight.

Also, I would assume a retailer like Kohl's for example would run all of their potential employees through the databases, corporate or not? Maybe that question would be more easily answered as I am not applying in a store as a cashier. Thanks again for your help!

In most cases stores that subscribe to these databases run all employees through it at hiring and sometimes when being promoted regardless of position

I am currently in retail and have been promoted several times. I work for a fairly large retailer, who I believe to be a part of these database groups, and I was always curious if they continuously ran me through. Maybe I have just heard horror stories, but I've always assumed that my name would be in the database.

There are numerous databases it could be that your employer subscribes to a different one than one your believe your on

Is there a company that allows you to inquire about yourself in these databases? I know that information is only traded between members, but I would really like to know for sure if I'm in there, preferably without embarrassing myself during the interview process.

The only way to know if your in database is by running your name or if your told by someone who has. You asked earlier about time how long ago was incident?

You "should" be fine. "Generally" databases will remove your name after 7 years.

I know that I should be prepared to talk about it should it come up. I am not trying to slip through undetected, I just don't even know how to tell a potential employer about this incident. (Sorry if this is now a tangent into the wrong thread...) How do you explain a situation like this when you feel like you're not even the same person anymore? I know who I am now and my work ethic is strong. How do I explain an incident and revelation without sounding like I'm carrying a ton of baggage? That's the main reason why I'm hoping it's not an issue anymore, because I don't know how to project my real self above something like this. There's no reason a company should pick me over another individual, and I want to change that. :(

That's the main reason why I'm hoping it's not an issue anymore, because I don't know how to project my real self above something like this.

It's been 10 years ago - it's not likely it is an issue any more. There is no reason for you to bring it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back