Resinded job offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiggs

I was offered a job on Friday, which I accepted at 9:00am on Monday. I was told to pick up my pre-employment paperwork on Tuesday morning. At 2:00pm on Monday afternoon, I received a call telling mew my job offer had been recinded...the only explanation was "administrative changes". I asked fora further explanation and was told I would not get one. They were hiring 5 - 8 people. I asked if everyones offers were being recinded and was told "no". I asked if the next open postion would be mine and was also told "No, I would have to interview again"..even though I had already accepted the position.
I had turned down other interviews and employmetn testing to take this postion and also cancelled my trip to Europe (Lossing approx $2500) to take the position. (This is in the State of California). The employer is a county government agency. Is it legal for them to do this and can I do anything to try to reclaim my lost $$$ from them?

Did you sign a contract for this job?

You can try seeing an employment law attorney but there is a good chance what they did was legal. I doubt you will be able to recover the trip though.

They called you on the same day and recinded the offer, right? Is it possible something showed up on a credit report or criminal background check? Doesn't sound like you signed a contract so yes it is legal for them to recind their offer and they do not have to give you an explanation. I don't see how you could prove that you had a loss in five hours time. And you should have been able to reschedule the test and maybe even rescheduled the interviews. Did you try to reschedule the test and interviews? And it sounds weird that you had a trip to Europe planned but were going on other interviews for jobs and testing. What if one of the other places had hired you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back