Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbin78

Can I legally revoke a letter of resignation? If I give two weeks notice to voluntarily leave a company can I revoke it with out recourse? Is the letter binding and does the allowed 7 day revocation of a contract pertain in this case? Also, I live in MA and work at a company in CT that has the main office in MA; does MA or CT law pertain?

Thank You

No law in any state addresses the revokation of a letter of resignation. You may ask the employer if you can rescind it and return to work; they can either agree or disagree and both are legal. It's entirely up to them.

Thank You,

I should have clarified that the 2 week period has not expired and I am still employed. Would your response be different? (I would certainly discuss this with them if it comes down to it, but I have not given the notice yet.)

Thanks

No, my response would be no different. There ARE NO LAWS regarding this. It is entirely up to the employer, period. Once you give your notice, you have NO legal expectation of retaining your job. It is ENTIRELY up to the employer, in ALL circumstances and ALL states, whether to allow you to rescind the resignation or not.

The ONLY exception to this would be if you are working under a binding contract or CBA that SPECIFICALLY grants you that right. The law does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back