Rescinding an Accepted Job Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSchwendner

Background:
My son is a senior (undergraduate). He recently accepted a Wall Street position (entry level) with Company X in late Dec 06. The agreed to start date is Aug 07.

My son continued to interview with other another company (Company Y). He was just offered a position with Company Y (Jan 07). The position is very similar to the one from Company X, but his salary will be approximately $30K more than what Company X had offered.

In Company's X job offer, which he signed in Dec 06, it stated the following "This is the full and complete agreement between you and Company X. Although your job dutoes, title, ...Human Resources policies and procedures, may change from time-to-time, the nature of your emplyment remains "at will." As a result of you or Company X may terminate your employment relationship at any time for any reason with or without cause."

Questions:
1. Is he legally bound to work for Company X ?
2. Can he negotiate with Company X for a higher salary given the offer from Company Y being $30K more? Would this re-negotiation be ethical?
3. If he opts to take the higher paid Company Y position, how should he phrase his withdrawal of acceptance correspondence?

1. Is he legally bound to work for Company X ?

A: I don't think so, but of course a court of law would give you the final answer.

2. Can he negotiate with Company X for a higher salary given the offer from Company Y being $30K more? Would this re-negotiation be ethical?

A: Certainly you can negotiate!

3. If he opts to take the higher paid Company Y position, how should he phrase his withdrawal of acceptance correspondence?

A: "I don't want the job."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back