Rental property issue

Accurac

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hello sorry for the vague title. To explain my issue, the couple we were renting the trailer from were still on a rent to own agreement with the trailer court. They have since decided to give up the property back to the trailer court. They are facing a lawsuit from the trailer court for damages they and their dog had done to the trailer which is all listed on our lease agreement with them.

One of those issues is the screen door being broken by them and not fully closing properly. This resulted in the screen door slamming open during a windy day and I made the choice to take it down so it wouldn't keep slamming against the trailer. I took the screws off properly, took the door to store it inside and put a protective coating on the wooden door behind the screen door to protect it from the weather. A fellow tenant then informed the couple of what happened and all they said was OK, they never said anything else and only recently after we moved out, they told me they assumed I would just fix the door without ever communicating about it.

The other issue is regarding their mail. There's nothing in the lease about their mail but they kept having mail/Amazon packages sent to the address. We would always take a drive to deliver it to them but since they had moved much further away we couldn't do that anymore. Prior to moving out I had told them exactly when we were moving out and that they did have mail and packages. They tried to arrange a meet up one day and didn't show up and then never tried again. We had to move out since they were giving up the trailer. So we left the mail in the trailer for them to get it. They told me they had went to get it but the trailer court changed the locks. Are we liable for that? They're acting and stating things as if we had taken their mail or given it to somebody.

Mind you, we moved out the weekend of May 6, they're also stating we should have done a walk through of the place before leaving but they never communicated regarding that at any point and only now that they're facing their lawsuit are they trying to drag us into this. I apologize if I'm missing any important details. Just some general advice would be lovely, thanks!

If you haven't been named as a defendant in the lawsuit or a counterclaim filed against you, forget about. If and when you are named you answer the complaint.

we left the mail in the trailer for them to get it. They told me they had went to get it but the trailer court changed the locks. Are we liable for that?

I don't think so.

They're acting and stating things as if we had taken their mail or given it to somebody.

Then stop talking to them. Block their calls.

they're also stating we should have done a walk through of the place before leaving but they never communicated regarding that at any point

They didn't have to.

Common sense dictates that you protect yourself by photographing and documenting the condition of any place that you rent, when you move in and when you move out. Nobody should have to tell you to do that.

Just some general advice would be lovely, thanks!

I agree with Welkin. If you get served a lawsuit, come back and provide us with the listed allegations.

Otherwise, forget it and get on with your lives.

Thanks for the replies, I have taken photos of the place already, I forgot to mention that. I have blocked them and will just move on my life.

Back