Removing myself as director from company which is marital asset in divorce proceedings

sanchan

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
My husband and I are divorcing. The limited company of which we are both directors (he, the sole shareholder; me, a "wife" director doing basic admin only) is going into liquidation. My husband accepts responsibility for the state of affairs - a sad consequence of mental health problems - and has advised me to resign as a director beforehand so that I do not suffer the consequences.

I am not sure what those consequences would be and am concerned that if I resign, only my husband's sister (who is acting for him as he's unwell) will have a say in how the company is wound down even though it is an asset in which I share ownership. The liquidation practitioner is arriving on Wednesday, 16 November for a meeting to start the process. Any brief advice before then would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

My husband and I are divorcing. My husband... has advised me to resign as a director beforehand so that I do not suffer the consequences.

Sounds like a threat to me.

Never take legal advice from your enemy.

Any brief advice before then would be appreciated.

Yes.

Hire yourself a business attorney who will protect your interests. And don't resign until your lawyer says so.

Despite the option upon sign-up to select other jurisdictions, this forum is designed to help folks with US law matters. With that said, I agree with what @adjusterjack said above.

Back