removing a womans name from my childs birth certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebechavez

i was formerly in a lesbian relationship n gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, sad to say my relationship did not work out n we both moved on however; my ex partners name is on the birth certificate listed as the father because during the time of birth we were a domestic couple. can i have her name legally removed and is it a rough process???/

Madam, I suggest you contact a local attorney.

You'll have a very difficult time removing the "father's" name from a birth certificate, if the person contests it.

It is also a costly process.

i was formerly in a lesbian relationship n gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, sad to say my relationship did not work out n we both moved on however; my ex partners name is on the birth certificate listed as the father because during the time of birth we were a domestic couple. can i have her name legally removed and is it a rough process???/

Is she the legal parent?

I echo AJ's post. I'm not entirely convinced that adding her as "father" was legal.

hello prosperpina, thank you for answering i feel overwhelmed and scared. no she is not a biological parent in reality she is the aunt. her nephew fathered my child. n i went to ask at the hospital where my baby was born to se if they can ammend the birt certificate but they told me NO because at the time of birth we were a domestic couple.

hello prosperpina, thank you for answering i feel overwhelmed and scared. no she is not a biological parent in reality she is the aunt. her nephew fathered my child. n i went to ask at the hospital where my baby was born to se if they can ammend the birt certificate but they told me NO because at the time of birth we were a domestic couple.

The real father has right's that he might want to enforce one day.

There are also child support issues that will probably arise, especially if you seek state assistance.

The child could also have trouble getting a passport, drivers license, a marriage license and other legal documents one day.

The child could possibly want to know her father one day.

This is a fine mess you've made for a few people.

You might be better off to leave this alone.

Putting a woman's name as a father isn't legal, domestic partner or not.

There is no biological way a woman could ever father a child!

What you did wasn't smart or well conceived.

Stir this up, and you could be charged with tampering with governmental records, fraud, or some other crime.

You might want to discuss this with a lawyer.

Last edited:
thank you so much for answering i feel overwhelmed and powerless. she is not a biological parent her nephew fathered my child n since her birth he has been an absent parent, he wants no interaction with the baby.i hope all gos well in court for me but i am still scared.

thank you so much for your response and you are right, my mistake was permitting her name to be added. the hospital supervisor told me, that this is was a matter for the court to decide. the biological father can care less n chooses to not be in the childs life.i argued with the staff that it was ridiculous for a womans name to be where the fathers name should be but, it was all in vain.

thank you so much for your response and you are right, my mistake was permitting her name to be added. the hospital supervisor told me, that this is was a matter for the court to decide. the biological father can care less n chooses to not be in the childs life.i argued with the staff that it was ridiculous for a womans name to be where the fathers name should be but, it was all in vain.

You would have been better served to say you didn't know who fathered the child.

But, the father will care when the state comes after him for child support.

thank you so much, u are awesome and clearly very intelligent. i will look into hiring an attorney n i hope the outcome will be in my favor.

Your answer is in the California Family Code. If you were legally registered as domestic partners in California at the time the child was born, then your domestic partner has the same rights and responsibilities toward that child as a spouse. In short- your domestic partner, whether you are together or not, has legal obligations to that child and will not be easily removed from the birth certificate.

Family Code
297.5. (a) Registered domestic partners shall have the same rights,
protections, and benefits, and shall be subject to the same
responsibilities, obligations, and duties under law, whether they
derive from statutes, administrative regulations, court rules,
government policies, common law, or any other provisions or sources
of law, as are granted to and imposed upon spouses.

(d) The rights and obligations of registered domestic partners
with respect to a child of either of them shall be the same as those
of spouses. The rights and obligations of former or surviving
registered domestic partners with respect to a child of either of
them shall be the same as those of former or surviving spouses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back