Remarried within the 6 month waiting period

Status
Not open for further replies.

saigon75

In California, there is a 6 months waiting period before divorce is finalized. My six month waiting period from my previous marriage ended on March 19, 2009. In December 5,2008, I went to Vietnam and had a wedding party with my current wife. My current wife and I applied for a marriage license in Vietnam on April, 2009 and was issued the marriage license on May 14, 2009. My question is: Do I break a California 6 month waiting period law?

From what you indicated, you have only obtained a marriage license in Vietnam.
You have not been married yet.
Unless, a marriage license is synonymous with marriage in Vietnam.
But, that doesn't matter, because as long a you are single, Vietnam (or anywhere else) will allow you to marry.

The six month waiting period applies only if you attempt to remarry in California.
You can also get a judge to waive the waiting period.
So, it is not necessarily meant as a strict six month impediment to remarriage.
Society encourages people to marry.
It would encourage unmarried people to live together without benefit of marriage, if it were not waiverable.

Last edited:
Supplemental to this question: My current wife is Vietnamese citizen and I am in the process of filing a petition to sponsor her to the USA. My question is: If I had the wedding party with my current wife before my previous 6 month waiting period ended, Does the immigration officer refuse to issue her a visa to the USA?

Supplemental to this question: My current wife is Vietnamese citizen and I am in the process of filing a petition to sponsor her to the USA. My question is: If I had the wedding party with my current wife before my previous 6 month waiting period ended, Does the immigration officer refuse to issue her a visa to the USA?
I don't think that will matter.
What matters is how long you have known each other.
In your case, that could be a problem.
You'll never know until you go through the process.

But, why not stay in 'Nam?
The US economy sucks at the moment.
You can live like kings over there anyway.

I don't think that will matter.
What matters is how long you have known each other.
In your case, that could be a problem.
You'll never know until you go through the process.

But, why not stay in 'Nam?
The US economy sucks at the moment.
You can live like kings over there anyway.
I have known my current wife as a best friend for two year before I filed a divorce with my ex-wife. Is it a concern as time matter?

Another question: Under the california law or immigration law, do I commit bigamy when I had a wedding party with my current wife before my 6 month waiting ended? I agree with you in the previous posts, the 6 month waiting period is not applied if I had wedding party in Vietnam with my current wife ( non US citizen). Am I corrected?

Last edited:
I have known my current wife as a best friend for two year before I filed a divorce with my ex-wife. Is it a concern as time matter?
You'll have to prove that.
But that won't help you.
You have to show that you have been involved, so to speak for a period of time.
I don't know if being friends counts.
Immigration makes that call.
They'll wonder how you could be friends with her, while married to the other?

Another question: Under the california law or immigration law, do I commit bigamy when I had a wedding party with my current wife before my 6 month waiting ended? I agree with you in the previous posts, the 6 month waiting period is not applied if I had wedding party in Vietnam with my current wife ( non US citizen). Am I corrected?

You need to get off that note. It only applies in California. You didn't marry in California, so it doesn't matter. unless you are leaving something out!

I asked before, is a wedding party the same as a marriage in US terms?
But, as long as it wasn't California, it doesn't matter.

You'll have to prove that.
But that won't help you.
You have to show that you have been involved, so to speak for a period of time.
I don't know if being friends counts.
Immigration makes that call.
They'll wonder how you could be friends with her, while married to the other?

You need to get off that note. It only applies in California. You didn't marry in California, so it doesn't matter. unless you are leaving something out!

I asked before, is a wedding party the same as a marriage in US terms?
But, as long as it wasn't California, it doesn't matter.
You said, "I asked before, is a wedding party the same as a marriage in US terms?".

In my opinion, in Vietnam, a person has to obtain a marriage certificate from the court in order for him or her to be legally married. If a person has a wedding ceremony and does not have a marriage license, she or he will not be considered as husband/wife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back