relocated then job eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortune500

Hello,

I was relocated by my company, purchased a house, etc.. and then my job was eliminated. I have written proof that my boss just wanted to get rid of me. I am aware of a meeting that was setup with HR where she outlined why she wanted to terminate me with cause. When HR informed her that she had no proof to her accusations (because they were all false), she went the route of eliminating the position despite a clear need. Again, I have documentation of all these steps.

This position was created specifically for me as I was selected as a star employee to relocate, with the expectations of a long tenure with the company. I was even such a valued employee that I have received several retention bonuses. Now my former boss has left the company and my new boss wants me gone and I'm stuck with a big mortgage in a city I would have never moved to it if was not for this company.

I am under 40, so age discrimination is not an option. Do I have any other legal recourse? I am still trying to negotiate my severance, so anything I can use to help my cause would be appreciated. FYI - This is under GA law.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Fortune - your firing, as per your posting, is not something illegal. Unless you have a specific contract with the company saying that you would not be fired or your position would not be eliminated, you don't have a leg to stand on. Employers are mostly entitled to do what they deem fit when it comes to the make up of positons and people who work for the company.

If I were you, I would make sure you receive a severance package that will cover several months of your mortgage payments and living expenses for a reasonable time frame until you decide what you are going to do next. If you think you need assistance (if you notice that your employer is playing hardball with you when it comes to the severance) consult a labor/employment attorney in your town to help you with important details. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back