Religious Job Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElliotL

Hello,

I would like some legal advice pertaining to a job I am looking into, and my faith. I am a religious person, who holds the 7th day of the week (Saturday) to be a holy day, therefore I am unable to work under any circumstances from friday early afternoon to saturday evening. I am looking into becoming a pilot as a proffesion, but before I even start any training I need to know if my religion fits into the equal opportunity section. Usually airline pilots fly whenever the airline asks them to, even on weekends. I have called up some airlines, and they have said that they do not think they will be able to honor my religious issues, but when I join the airline they might be able to work something out. I need reassurance that either I am covered under some anti descrimination law, or else I will not look into that job sector. Thank you for your time.

Since you have not indicated that you belong to a religious organization that holds these beliefs, I would say you have no case.

But you need to ask the prospective employer if they would make accommodations to suit you.

This is not legal Advice!

Your quote: "I would like some legal advice pertaining to a job I am looking into, and my faith. I am a religious person, who holds the 7th day of the week (Saturday) to be a holy day, therefore I am unable to work under any circumstances from friday early afternoon to saturday evening".

From my knolledge, your chances are still not slim in getting a job with an Airline. This sector is one of the most multi culture sectors out there. Airlines are well and truly geard up for all sorts of people and cultures, it is there living!
They do work to roster systems and pilots as you know can ONLY use so many hours a week, there are so many pilots out there that they have more than enough to cover the weekend.

Go persue your future and enjoy the jorney.

Take care

Mark.

Airlines are a 24/7 business and religion is not protected, in most cases. I cannot see any airline hiring you if you cannot work Fri or Saturdays. That is not a reasonable accomodation, so it would not be protected by the EEOC. That is like being an ER DR. and not being able to work certain days. A hospital would not hire you either.
I can almost guarantee you no airline will hire you. If you want to look into a charter or something like that you might have some luck but airlines need people available to work any day of the week. Expecting every Fri or Sat off is not a reasonable request.

If you want to be an airline pilot that bad then you are going to have to decide what is more important.

Many Many years ago I worked for "SERVICE AIR" in london UK. There were many people there that had cetain days off for various reason, that is why they have shift work. I worked with a someone who would not concider working on shabbat and he was there a lot longer than me!

What you study for dose not mean that you will end up doing that actual job, Just go get your education and things will still work out in the end. I always wanted to become a vet but due to gentle pushing did not end up any where remotley close.

Follow you dreems.

Take care

Mark.

Many Many years ago I worked for "SERVICE AIR" in london UK. There were many people there that had cetain days off for various reason, that is why they have shift work. I worked with a someone who would not concider working on shabbat and he was there a lot longer than me!
I think you're onto something here -- if you are a 7th day sabbath observer then maybe this question might be best answered by someone with some experience in this issue and perhaps you can connect with someone in a Jewish organization. Others may have faced the same challenges you are facing in this industry. At the very worst, you can have an anonymous representative contact the airlines to determine policy.

With airlines they schedule pilots based upon flight time, rest and returns -- if you live in NY and fly to LA then some way you'll need to get back to NY. For them to have to schedule you specially might be a significant challenge. This is also a very different than being a medical intern or doctor on call from my understanding.

I found the following somewhere and I think this probably sums up the burden on the airlines generally:

"...This includes belief, unless an employer demonstrates they are unable to reasonably accommodate an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business." This means the burden of proof is on the employer. It is up to the employer to show that accommodating an employee's religious beliefs would subject the business to undue hardship..."

I'd certainly be interested in hearing the answer to this question.

Hey guys, and thank you for your replies. Seniorjudge asked if I belong to an organization, the answer is yes. I do belong to a verifiable organization, with a spiritual leader. This is a very well known organization. I do live in New York City, and I think thats a big hub so I would have a bigger chance to get home in my opinion. Because I belong to an organization, do you think it makes a difference?

Your quote: "I belong to an organization, do you think it makes a difference"?

Yes, in more than one way i would think. If say for instance your organization was classed as a cult or an order that's beliefs could be otherwise detrementle to a country's safty then I would say it makes a big differance, because safty is paramount at any airport and Airlines are governed by rules and regulations.
For example!! "...This includes belief, unless an employer demonstrates they are unable to reasonably accommodate an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business."

If however, your religion dose not apply to the above then "This means the burden of proof is on the employer. It is up to the employer to show that accommodating an employee's religious beliefs would subject the business to undue hardship..."

Like i said before, go get the education and then you can apply for any job, you should have just as much chance as everyone else. Once you have your pilots licence you may feel you do not want to become a coach driver of the sky's but may end up in the operations department. All the above is just our opinions, you will have to decide now.

Good luck, with what ever you choose to do.

Take care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back