Release from administration question.

BullGill

My mother and I have decided that it would be best if I filed for the release from administration on my fathers death. My mother and father were not married and he left no will. His possessions are not in question it is an insurance policy his father opened in his name that nobody knew existed. The insurance company called me and notified me of the policy, nobody is named on the policy. This is why we have to file for a release of administration.

My question is: I talked to a lawyer and asked him if I would need proof of funeral expenses paid and he told me I did, all I have at the moment is his cremation bill that states his ashes were placed in an urn. He was also buried along with a party that was paid for by my uncle and my mother. I was wondering if the cremation bill is enough.

The lawyer also told me that my mothers name being on the bill was not a problem, they just want to know it was paid for. The cremation bill has his name on it and is all I feel I need as proof considering his ashes could be in my possession.

My mother and I have decided that it would be best if I filed for the release from administration on my fathers death. My mother and father were not married and he left no will. His possessions are not in question it is an insurance policy his father opened in his name that nobody knew existed. The insurance company called me and notified me of the policy, nobody is named on the policy. This is why we have to file for a release of administration.

My question is: I talked to a lawyer and asked him if I would need proof of funeral expenses paid and he told me I did, all I have at the moment is his cremation bill that states his ashes were placed in an urn. He was also buried along with a party that was paid for by my uncle and my mother. I was wondering if the cremation bill is enough.

The lawyer also told me that my mothers name being on the bill was not a problem, they just want to know it was paid for. The cremation bill has his name on it and is all I feel I need as proof considering his ashes could be in my possession.

In your state, Ohio, when a person dies intestate; the surviving spouse inherits EVERYTHING if the surviving issue were of the current marriage.

The Ohio Bar explains it all in great detail.

OSBA | Administering an Estate Without a Will

There is no we that is legally required to file for the release.

Their is only a SHE, your mother.

Please accept my sincerest condolences upon the passing of your father.

May God comfort you and your family during and after this most difficult time.

My mother and father were never married.

My question is if the cremation bill is enough to prove that the funeral expenses were paid.

My mother and father were never married.

My question is if the cremation bill is enough to prove that the funeral expenses were paid.

Possibly, but the insurance company should provide you with specific guidance.

Someone needs to satisfy the insurance company and be a named beneficiary.

Insurance policies are paid out to named beneficiaries, which has little to do with relationship, ancestry, or marital status.

Back