Regarding supervisor supporting rumors in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerian

I was recently confronted by my supervisor regarding my job performance. I work as a school counselor and have been assigned 'test coordinator' for my school. Coordinating testing situations is not in the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI)curriculum for school counselors. Historically, the school counselor has assumed this position which the NCDPI and the North Carolina School Counselors Association has successfuly drafted and subsiquently passed as a role school counselors should not be assigned as it takes us from the state approved curriculum.

During the meeting, of which the assistant principal was present, the principal began to berate me with regards to some problems she had with my duties as a test coordinator. She also informed me that she had 'heard' from 'other staff' that I have a 'history of slacking on the job' and 'have previously not performed my duties as a school counselor.'

I have always advocated for my profession to my peers and have maintained a professional attitude towards performing my job duties and followed my supervisors direction to the best of my ability. I can see where at times my advocacy towards changing my role to conform to the state mandated standards and curriculum has caused miscommunication among my peers. However, the standards are the rule. I certainly would not attempt to down grade the responsibilities of their duties as educators due to my respect of their mandated direction from the State Board.

I have worked for this school for five years and have received an at- or above-standard evaluation all five years from my previous principal. I have also worked in some type of human service capacity for the past twenty-seven years without a problem in delivering quality and professional work.

My currrent principal, her first year as a principal, having made this statement in front of the assistant principal has proven that it is her policy to follow rumors as a standard practice without regards to a performance evaluation of her subordinates.

My question is...her having made this statement in front of a witness, does this constitute basis as 'slander?'

Q: My question is...her having made this statement in front of a witness, does this constitute basis as 'slander?'

A: Maybe. If you have $30K and three years (that is, if it's cheap and fast) for a lawsuit, have at it.

It is obvious you need to look for another job! Slander?? Possibly! However, I am in full agreement that unless you have some ""BIG BUCKS" to initiate a slander suit! Pursuing this matter any further would be an unproductive waste of time and energy!!

Although, this is strictly my opinion (but I think majority would agree), slander/ Libel and Defamation suits are for the RICH!! many times the suits are not brought for the money. It is the PRINCIPLE of the matter that matters the most!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back