Refuse work in my job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moni123

I'm a medical record clerk. Can I refuse a job that has never been in my job description? Can I get suspended or even fired because of that? I take care of paperwork in 4 floors of a nursing facility. These floors have been taken care of by me since I've been working there. (14 months). Now, my boss wants me to take care of a different floor that is very busy and stressful. (right now another clerk works there)I don't want to take over that floor it because I don't function well in stressful and fast paced situations. I tried to negotiate with my boss, but she is not flexible. What should I do? Is there a law I could rely on if she wants to suspend/fire me?

Can I refuse a job that has never been in my job description? Not without penalty

Can I get suspended or even fired because of that? Most definitely.

What should I do? Either do what your boss wants you to do, or find another job.

Is there a law I could rely on if she wants to suspend/fire me? No.

Your job description is whatever your boss says is. Unless you have a bona fide, enforceable contract that spells out your job duties and SPECIFICALLY says that these duties can never be added to, your boss can ask you to do anything that is not illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards, and you can be disciplined up to and including termination if you refuse to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back