Reckless Driving after accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

imdoomed

I recently received reckless driving ticket, after I rammed into the back of someone. I was wondering if I should hire a lawyer to try and get the charges lowered to a lesser offense? Or should I go to court and just hope the judge is understanding and lower the chargers?

I recently received reckless driving ticket, after I rammed into the back of someone. I was wondering if I should hire a lawyer to try and get the charges lowered to a lesser offense? Or should I go to court and just hope the judge is understanding and lower the chargers?

What would you expect the judge to be understanding of and why would you expect him to lower the charges?

I couldn't resist asking. :dgrin

imdoomed said:

Hire a lawyer.

Judges don't reduce charges.

Prosecutors reduce charges and offer plea bargains.

Speak to a lawyer (or two) and see if what you seek is possible.

Depending on the circumstances you could beat a reckless charge.
How exactly did you end up ramming into someone?

MM - I'm just curious but doesn't "ramming into someone" equate to "being reckless"? Unless the OP used improper wordage to explain his/her predictament, it sounds reckless to me. I'm curious for my own knowledge, as I thought following too closely was considered "reckless". Though, I'm not a Deputy as you are...

Well, the term "reckless" may have different meanings in different states. In my state, simply rear ending someone would not constitute an act of "reckless driving" as defined under OUR statutes.

In VA reckless is defined as we might define "unsafe speed" in CA.

§ 46.2-861. Driving too fast for highway and traffic conditions.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who exceeds a reasonable speed under the circumstances and traffic conditions existing at the time, regardless of any posted speed limit.

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
And there are other examples, too.

MM - I'm just curious but doesn't "ramming into someone" equate to "being reckless"? Unless the OP used improper wordage to explain his/her predictament, it sounds reckless to me. I'm curious for my own knowledge, as I thought following too closely was considered "reckless". Though, I'm not a Deputy as you are...

"Ramming into someone" could be something as simple as a rear-end fender bender.... I am doubting that the OP actually "rammed" anyone.
No, following too closely is not necessarily reckless... the circumstances dictate that.

similar situation

I had a similar accident in Oregon, broke a taillight, dent.... does anyone know if there's a chance I could make a deal for a lesser offence? The city police gave me a careless driving ticket. I have 0 tickets in the past 10 years, and no accidents ever, mid-forties.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting the offence reduced? Of course I wouldn't bother if it never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back