Receiving Parking Tickets for Sold Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldorfsalad

My jurisdiction is: California, Contra Costa County

I sold a vehicle in March of 2008. I turned in all my paperwork to the DMV, but found out later that it was never entered into the system. I have been resending copies of the bill of sell, however, I have come to learn that the buyer provided false information, and his phone number (which was working at the time of purchase) is now disconnected. I was also told by DMV staff that sometimes forms get thrown away, and this may have happened. I thought this was unprofessional to do and to admit.

I am trying to get the Release of Liability on this vehicle, however the DMV is not completing this until I provide the new owners correct information.

I am now receiving parking tickets and fastrack tickets on this vehicle because I still haven't gotten the DMV to release me from the liability on this vehicle.

I also found out that the buyer has gone into the DMV in person to pay the registration on the vehicle, but it was kept in my name.

Here are my questions:
1- Is it not the DMV's responsibility to check identification when someone is registering a vehicle?
2-How am I responsible for someone who provided me CA identification to prove that it is or is not true when making a sell?
3-How do I handle these tickets? I have been in contact with the citation officials and postponing until I can get the DMV paperwork.
4-Am I still legally responsible for this vehicle, and if so, then can I report it stolen since I was provided with false information?

Did you ask the DMV about this issue? How about speaking to the police? If it's not actually "theft" of the vehicle it is "identity theft" for this unscrupulous person to keep the vehicle in your name.

1- Is it not the DMV's responsibility to check identification when someone is registering a vehicle?
Not if all they are doing is paying the registration.

2-How am I responsible for someone who provided me CA identification to prove that it is or is not true when making a sell?
I am not sure what you are asking here. You are not responsible for proving that the person is who they claim to be, but if they are providing you with knowingly fraudulent information then they may well have committed fraud. However, without any paperwork to show that this person gave you bad info, it's impossible to say whether the info was false, or whether you just don't recall it well.

All you can do is complete the paperwork and turn the documents in to the DMV. You say you did, the DMV apparently says they do not have any proof of that transaction. This is one reason why I advise people to make copies of everything. I have sold three cars, and that's what I have always done ... just in case.

3-How do I handle these tickets? I have been in contact with the citation officials and postponing until I can get the DMV paperwork.
It sounds like you are doing what you can do so far.

4-Am I still legally responsible for this vehicle, and if so, then can I report it stolen since I was provided with false information?
Yes, you can still be held legally responsible for the vehicle if there is no record of a release of liability or change of title/registration. No, you cannot report it stolen because it was NOT stolen or embezzled.

I wish I had an answer here, but the answer might lay with the DMV ... and nothing about the DMV will be easy.

- Carl

I have a copy of the bill of sell and release of liability, but the DMV was telling me I had to find his real information. I ended up going to a DMV in a different city and I talked to a manager. She , I hope, has got me on the right track. She entered all the new information into the computer and told me that the other DMV should have done that.

I sent all that information off to the cities where I got the parking tickets and the Fastrak. Hopefully its taken care of now.

Good luck! None of it can be easy.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back