Raise refused because I "receive student loans"

jmnIV

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello,

High-level:

After a year with my previous employer per earlier discussions with management, I requested a raise. My request was refused because I "was receiving student loans".

Details:

I had already taken on additional responsibilities of another employee who had quit soon after I came on, was working 60+ hour weeks, and - I didn't bring it up in the meeting - was barely scraping by on what amounted to minimum wage when the salary was broken down to hourly at 40 hours a week.

My wife was attending grad school at University of Washington, and we were receiving a loan for child-care (which still amounted to more then our rent) and another for living expenses as she was a full time student with a child - all told in the neighborhood of $5-6K total.

Is this grounds for refusing a raise to an employee? It felt so brutally unfair, that I got curious.

Thanks!

An employer does not need grounds to refuse a raise. The ONLY time a raise is required by law, barring a bona fide, legally enforceable contract or CBA that says otherwise, is if minimum wage is raised by the appropriate legislative body AND the employee is working for less than the new minimum. In ALL other cases, when and whether to provide a raise is entirely at the opt of the employer.

Hello,

High-level:

After a year with my previous employer per earlier discussions with management, I requested a raise. My request was refused because I "was receiving student loans".

Details:

I had already taken on additional responsibilities of another employee who had quit soon after I came on, was working 60+ hour weeks, and - I didn't bring it up in the meeting - was barely scraping by on what amounted to minimum wage when the salary was broken down to hourly at 40 hours a week.

My wife was attending grad school at University of Washington, and we were receiving a loan for child-care (which still amounted to more then our rent) and another for living expenses as she was a full time student with a child - all told in the neighborhood of $5-6K total.

Is this grounds for refusing a raise to an employee? It felt so brutally unfair, that I got curious.

Thanks!

There is NOTHING in any state law that requires any employer to give any employee a raise, absent any employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

That said, you are always FREE to leave your current employer to seek better pay, better treatment, or for any other reason.

It "might" have been not fair but not fair doesn't always equal illegal.

It is unfair and makes no sense at all. It sounds like they have the mind-set that you don't "need" the raise, which should be completely irrelevant. You could be independently wealthy and if you're doing the job you should be paid accordingly. You can always ask for a chance to argue your case for a raise. If they stick to that point that you receive student loan assistance, and ignore the work, counter with either A) had you not known of my student loan assistance, would you have given me the raise or B) when it comes time to pay back these student loans, will I receive a raise to help pay them back. (Of course B) is a little sarcastic.)

Back