Racial Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Question9463

Jurisdiction
D.C.
My supervisor lies about the work product of those before me who were not black. Many have told me stories about how things were before I started and it does not add up to what she says. She also raves about how they kept things even after she has been telling me that my work is not complete, and the only changes she recommends are to things that were ideal when the other people where in the position. Meanwhile I have added things that actually matter, that weren't here when the other employees started..and this gets no recognition. Infact, the only thing she critiques on are custodial duties when they are a small part of my job.

example:
supervisor: pick this up because the other employees had nothing there
me: picks up object, looks like the other employees had it
supervisor: now paint the floor, the other employees really had this place looking good. we want to keep that standard.
me: paints the entire floor. is this good?
supervisor: we have a long way to go
me: what more would you like done?
supervisor: remove the tiles...you're not meeting the standard...they set the bar high.

Instead of saying, yeah I'd like to change up things..she's pretending as if I'm doing something wrong and using this to seriously rate my overall performance

I do not understand and it's causing me a lot of emotional distress because the job is overwhelming as is..but to be belittled and measured by not only custodial duties, but utter lies and delusion. It makes no sense and I believe I am experiencing subtle racial discrimination

It might be time to seek new employment.

Subtle racial discrimination, if that is what it is, would be impossible to prove. If you're not happy with the way your supervisor is treating you it might be best to look elsewhere.

Subtle racial discrimination, if that is what it is, would be impossible to prove. If you're not happy with the way your supervisor is treating you it might be best to look elsewhere.

If it is not discrimination, it is retaliation. I have been approached by 3 directors asking me to join their team. I applied for 1, and before I received a response she approached me and asked why I didn't tell her I applied (Submitted the application Friday, she approached me on Tuesday). Later the hiring Director said that they weren't going to move forward because they didn't know it was a time commitment. Meanwhile the previous employees she raves about were in my position for 4 months, and 6 months. I have been here the longest, and not because I didn't have options.

I might see bad management (although many performance reviews are based on comparable employees which would include prior employees) but nothing you have stated comes to the level of discrimination or retaliation.

Does the company have a policy that the current manager/supervisor must approve any job transfers/changes? Even if it does not, she can still give her input to the Hiring Manager regarding your performance (and her viewpoint of that) and the fact that she needs you during that time (assuming that's what you meant by time commitment). Many employers also have a length of time you must stay in one job before transferring. Neither is uncommon. And neither is retaliation or illegal discrimination.

I might see bad management (although many performance reviews are based on comparable employees which would include prior employees) but nothing you have stated comes to the level of discrimination or retaliation.

Does the company have a policy that the current manager/supervisor must approve any job transfers/changes? Even if it does not, she can still give her input to the Hiring Manager regarding your performance (and her viewpoint of that) and the fact that she needs you during that time (assuming that's what you meant by time commitment). Many employers also have a length of time you must stay in one job before transferring. Neither is uncommon. And neither is retaliation or illegal discrimination.
Yeah she's a horrible manager for sure. I doubt this company has that policy since it's common for people to move up very quickly.

Nothing here indicates racial discrimination or discrimination of any kind.
Either address your concerns with your employer or seek new employment where you might be treated better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back