Questions and concerns for a first offense shoplifting charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySwann

Hello,

A few days ago my daughter was convicted of shoplifting a $29 item from Ulta, the police were called and she was taken into protective custody until I picked her up. It's her first offense, she's under 16, and she will be going to Juvenile Court. So, questions.

1) Does she need an attorney/Public Defender?

2)Should she plead guilty or not guilty?

3)What penalties is she most likely to receive?

Thank you,and I assure you, she feels very guilty, and is scared out of her wits.

First of all, at this point she has not been convicted of anything, and as a juvenile first time offender of a petty offense she likely wont be.
When the two of you go to court don't make any plea until you have spoken with an attorney, whether it be your own or a court appointed attorney.
She will likely be ordered to work some community service hours, maybe have a brief probation, and you will likely have to pay some fines and court costs.

1) Does she need an attorney/Public Defender? (Yes she is facing criminal charges and potential criminal record)

2)Should she plead guilty or not guilty?(She should discuss her options including ACD or Diversion with her Attorney and you)

3)What penalties is she most likely to receive?(This will depend on locallaws and any plea deal her Attorney, her, you and DA agree to)

I was accused of stealing from a food store,it was makeup and replacement razors... I am 17 but i turn 18 in 3 months..i do not live with my parents and my father was never notified of the incident. I am not emancipated,i just moved when i became pregnant.

So my questions are....

1)will my father be notified or need to aplear at my court date?(he is always out of state with his work)

2)will i be convicted as an adult or minor?my birthday is end of January. So im 18 soon.

3)should i plead guilty or not guilty?they have clear video of me doing it.

4) how long will it be on my record since it is a first offense misdamenor?

5)will i be able to get a deal and not have it on my record since i was cooperative and it is my first offense?

6)i can not afford an attorney will they give me one at court?
Im 17 live in Minnesota,first offense shop lifti

Last edited by a moderator:
I was accused of stealing from a food store,it was makeup and replacement razors. I am 17 but i turn 18 in 3 months..i do not live with my parents and my father was never notified of the incident. I am not emancipated,i just moved when i became pregnant.

So my questions are....

1)will my father be notified or need to aplear at my court date?(he is always out of state with his work)

2)will i be convicted as an adult or minor?my birthday is end of January. So im 18 soon.

3)should i plead guilty or not guilty?they have clear video of me doing it.

4) how long will it be on my record since it is a first offense misdamenor?

5)will i be able to get a deal and not have it on my record since i was cooperative and it is my first offense?

6)i can not afford an attorney will they give me one at court?
Im 17 live in Minnesota,first offense shop lifting.

Plead not guilty. You are innocent until proven guilty by the state, or you plead guilty.

You'll be tried as an adult.

Shut up, stop talking, stop making it worse.

Cooperation assists the state in cutting your throat.

Plead not guilty, ask for a lawyer, meet with the lawyer, discuss a diversionary program with YOUR lawyer, and say no more of this. Stay out of trouble,
don't miss any court dates, and things will be okay.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back